Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is an extended cab, shortbed duramax truck that my dad's friend is going to sell me. I love the idea and have talked to him many times about it. The truck is a 2002 Ext. Cab, shortbed with the Duramax, Allison, and 4x4 (it even has the t-case shifter on the floor. It has leather and he is giving to me me for a pretty good price.

The only problem that I have with it is that the truck is white. I dont have a problem with white, I just prefer that Storm Gray Metallic color better.

So, assuming that I wait and save my money and get this truck, how much would it cost me to paint it? Include costs for clearcoat, door jamb painting, and anything else that you could think of that would turn the truck completely gray.

Please, I dont want to hear that I should wait on another truck, or that it would cost too much. In other words, I dont want opinions. I want to know how much it would cost. I dont mean to be harsh, just check my other thread about the V6 Silverado if you want to see what I mean about people telling me not to do something. BTW, that V6 truck thing isnt gonna happen-it sold, I dont have the money.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i would plan on at least $4000 if thats what you wan to do, however the best thing its to get a quote from a local P&B shop and tell them what you want...

want you want aint no maaco special!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Every bit of $4000 if you want a GOOD job. Maaco Earl Scheib won't work. If you like the truck, and it's a good deal, buy it! Just my opinion, but I don't like the idea of changing the original color of a vehicle... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
4k-6k probbaly for a nice job

·
Registered
891 Posts
i had mine done and it the bill was for 4360.00 and they didn't paint the hood or roof. the shop had the truck for 3 weeks also. I got lucky and my insurence paid the bill but i was still out 250 for the deductable. i had them leave every decal off also. really glad i had them do that. truck is smooth and clean.

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
When you change colors, it means they have to do a lot of disassembly to do the job right - otherwise you see the old color when you open the doors, look under the truck, etc.

If you can get it done for $6,000 you're getting a deal. If someone tells you they'll do it for less, they are cutting corners.

·
Registered
327 Posts
$6,000 for a complete paint job is a decent starting point. It will probably be more in the 7-8k range. That is for a quality job. There is a lot of removal of parts when you take on a job that size. I would not do it. Not because of the cost either. I don't like the hassle of explaining why I painted a perfectly fine truck. Reason being, if you sell the truck people will think you are pulling a fast one and selling a wrecked truck.

Not opinion, but advise. If you buy the truck, take the money you would spend on painting the truck and use it elsewhere. Get some aftermarket tires and wheels, lift, tuner, whatever.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Ford paid to re-paint my dad's old F150; $5500 AND we took it all apart before bringing it to the body shop that painted it. We took the trim, mouldings, bumpers, door handles, exterior lights, hood and tailgate off at home, loaded it onto a trailer and brought it to them. Still wasn't perfect when they were finished and we had to put it all back together again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I painted cars for 13 years, if you find a shop that will do it for 4 to 6 your getting a deal. I wouldnt touch something like that for less then about 7 on the side. Remember I am ASE, PPG, ICAR, Standox, certified painter. Just remember you get what you pay for.....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would guess in the 7-8k range. Your have to remember they have to take alot of thing s apart for a complete repaint, you have all the jambs including the the hood and engine compartment, and to do it right you need to pull the bed. How about adding an accent color or flames or something like that. I would be much cheaper

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
Please, I dont want to hear that I should wait on another truck, or that it would cost too much. In other words, I dont want opinions. I want to know how much it would cost. I dont mean to be harsh, just check my other thread about the V6 Silverado if you want to see what I mean about people telling me not to do something. BTW, that V6 truck thing isnt gonna happen-it sold, I dont have the money.
You have stated in several threads that you don't have money (including this one). This leads some of us to suggest not doing it - because of the cost.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I was quoted $650 to prep and paint the hood the original color...I would imagine $7K would be a steal to change colors. That is some investment on a used rig...Even if you keep it until the wheels fall off...Food for thought.

I Maaco's my '86 K-Blazer...it really needed paint bad...it came out OK. Some orange peel on the upper lip of the tailgate. otherwide the rig looked good, and the paint lasted for several years.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i would have to say without seeing the truck that you would be looking at $7,000 to 8,000 thats if the truck is in good shape no dints or scraches to fix then your talking more ..................as for preping the truck yourself it might be hard to find someone to do the job because us in the biz have to warrenty are work dont want someone else to do the preping so there is no problems and ive seen some stuff your average joe has done that ends up costing them more money than if they would have left it up to the pros

·
Registered
335 Posts
i would have to say without seeing the truck that you would be looking at $7,000 to 8,000 thats if the truck is in good shape no dints or scraches to fix then your talking more ..................as for preping the truck yourself it might be hard to find someone to do the job because us in the biz have to warrenty are work dont want someone else to do the preping so there is no problems and ive seen some stuff your average joe has done that ends up costing them more money than if they would have left it up to the pros
x2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts