Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 03 with the ally. I pull my skid loader around all the time, no problem. I am looking at a piece of equipment in VA. I was wondering if it would be OK on this truck to pull the equipment (app. 18k plus tag trailer) from VA to Louisville KY. We are looking at some hilly areas, which is what concerns me with the stock motor/trans. What do you all think?

Jeremy

·
Registered
333 Posts
The concern is legality and getting it slowed down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the trialer is set up with electric brakes, legal weight--well:D

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
indy97;1570022; said:
I have a stock 03 with the ally. I pull my skid loader around all the time, no problem. I am looking at a piece of equipment in VA. I was wondering if it would be OK on this truck to pull the equipment (app. 18k plus tag trailer) from VA to Louisville KY. We are looking at some hilly areas, which is what concerns me with the stock motor/trans. What do you all think?

Jeremy
Look at the GVW / CGVW and see what your truck is rated , beyond that your on your own, I pull 29 thou CGVW with my dually all the time , it's legal most places and it's a Beach to stop!!! but it pulls it like it was nothing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i'll be over on the weight. It will cost $3k to have it hauled here for me, I was just thinking it would be worth chancing a couple weight tickets. My truck is a stock LB7.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Just like strangers passing in the night. It is only illegal if ya get caught:cool: . Be careful but your truck will pull it like a scraped ape.....:eek:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
whos gonna catch you?

·
Registered
483 Posts
carhauler;1571002; said:
whos gonna catch you?
You'll never know...........:think: :shake:

·
Registered
35 Posts
IMO you are playing with fire if you are overweight by much especially if you are hauling commercially and interstate to boot. That $3000 will be lunch money compared to what you could get hammered for. The DOT is cracking down big time around these parts. They are hammering us with fines for being overweight. Then if they decide to do a tear-down inspection you just know they are gonna find a few additional things wrong (always do). And if you do get pulled over it will only be once. For being overweight they are going to red tag your trailer. This means you will be having it towed to a pound and you will still need to get another legal hauler to get your equiptment to your place...all on your dime. To me it would be worth paying to have this one hauled for you.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
dmaxaddict;1571112; said:
IMO you are playing with fire if you are overweight by much especially if you are hauling commercially and interstate to boot. That $3000 will be lunch money compared to what you could get hammered for. The DOT is cracking down big time around these parts. They are hammering us with fines for being overweight. Then if they decide to do a tear-down inspection you just know they are gonna find a few additional things wrong (always do). And if you do get pulled over it will only be once. For being overweight they are going to red tag your trailer. This means you will be having it towed to a pound and you will still need to get another legal hauler to get your equiptment to your place...all on your dime. To me it would be worth paying to have this one hauled for you.
Agree, they have figured out that many guys are tryign to run under the radar w/o cdl (any trailer 10,001lbs or more) medical cards etc and are finding out theres alot of reveneau out there. You may very well never get caught however if your in an accident (even if its not your fault,) your insurance could find you grossly negligant (if over gvrw etc) and find you partially at fault. Yes the trailer has brakes etc but all it takes is one ground loss or something and your trucks gonna have to stop it all. "DO you feel lucky today"

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
PS to answer you ? in the title on the shows trucks one time they had a 1 ton dually pull 80,000 lb semi w/no help from the semi

·
Registered
565 Posts
Can you pull it? ... Yes

Are you over the rating of the truck? ... Yes

Will it cost you money if you get caught? ... Yes

Can you stop? ... Who knows

Can you make a safe emergency manuever? ... Probably not

Will I be driving in front of you? ... Absolutely NOT! :shake:

Good Luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
thejdman04;1571131; said:
Agree, they have figured out that many guys are tryign to run under the radar w/o cdl (any trailer 10,001lbs or more) medical cards etc and are finding out theres alot of reveneau out there. You may very well never get caught however if your in an accident (even if its not your fault,) your insurance could find you grossly negligant (if over gvrw etc) and find you partially at fault. Yes the trailer has brakes etc but all it takes is one ground loss or something and your trucks gonna have to stop it all. "DO you feel lucky today"
No CDL is required until the combination GVWR exceeds 26,000 LBS. However in alot of states when the trailer weight goes over 10,000 LBS. a class A license of some sort is required even if the truck and trailer do not exeeed 26,000 LBS. CDL requirements are the same nationwide, but some states have different classes of license for non cdl type license. I agree that he would probably qualify for the medical card, log book, annual federal inspection, triangle reflectors, fire extingusiher etc. if he is hauling in commerce across state lines.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Big R

Big R you seem to have been down this road before.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
King Pin, lets say I have studied the subject in depth and have read the federal regs. a few times. By far I am no expert on the subject but I know where to find the information on it. I have heard of too many people getting in a fix just because they didn't do a little research. law Enforcement will tell you that ignorance is no excuse for the law.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
make sure it can stop. and haul it through the night. dont drive daytime and you will be fine.

what can the trailer carry? whats the rating for each axel and the weight of the trailer?

also you say its a tag trailer? you upgraded the hitch right? stocks rated for 7500 :eek:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You asked the wrong question, we all know the D/A will pull a house. Your problem is your truck will be over GVWR limits by the time you get it loaded down with a normal pin weight...not to mention GCWR.

From Trailer Life 2007 "Guide To Towing", page 14:

"The GVWR figures are neither guidelines nor estimates; they are limits, and there are numerous valid reasons the manufacturers arrived at the figures given. If you think these figures are "close enough" or have a fudge-factor percentage built in, think again. Your warranty coverage--and your safety--may be at risk".

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Those guys are right. If you exceed the vehicles ratings and go down the road and cause an accident and some one else besides you gets hurt, their lawyers will come at you with dollar signs in their eyes. There are lawyers out there just waiting for some action.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
BIGR;1571335; said:
No CDL is required until the combination GVWR exceeds 26,000 LBS. However in alot of states when the trailer weight goes over 10,000 LBS. a class A license of some sort is required even if the truck and trailer do not exeeed 26,000 LBS. CDL requirements are the same nationwide, but some states have different classes of license for non cdl type license. I agree that he would probably qualify for the medical card, log book, annual federal inspection, triangle reflectors, fire extingusiher etc. if he is hauling in commerce across state lines.
Yeah its either any single vehicle ie box truck cement mixer etc etc thats 26,0001 or more lbs you need a class b. If your towing any trailer 10,001 or more lbs you need a class a. 10,001 aint much a skid steer and alot of trailers put you right there. Agreed your total gross weight (truck and trailer and laod could well be under 26,000lbs but your truck trailer and skid steer (if the trailer and skid weigh more then 10,001 lbs) would put yuou into class a cdl territory here in IL

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
$3000??? That seems high. Have you shopped around?
indy97;1570400; said:
Oh i'll be over on the weight. It will cost $3k to have it hauled here for me, I was just thinking it would be worth chancing a couple weight tickets. My truck is a stock LB7.

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts