Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

1994 6.5TD K1500. Stock engine except K-47

Recently I had to park my truck overnight (Timberline at Mt Hood) and it was in the temp was in the low teens. It took a few tries and glow plug cycles to get ti started, but it did start.

My question is, do you give it any throttle? I did, but i'm not sure if it started because I gave it throttle, or in spite of it. Without throttle it just never seemed to catch, but maybe it was coincidence when it finally caught that I was applying about mid travel of the pedal for throttle. I live in wester OR so dont' usually deal with cold temps.

What's the proper way to start these things?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,050 Posts
Hey Everyone,

1994 6.5TD K1500. Stock engine except K-47

Recently I had to park my truck overnight (Timberline at Mt Hood) and it was in the temp was in the low teens. It took a few tries and glow plug cycles to get ti started, but it did start.

My question is, do you give it any throttle? I did, but i'm not sure if it started because I gave it throttle, or in spite of it. Without throttle it just never seemed to catch, but maybe it was coincidence when it finally caught that I was applying about mid travel of the pedal for throttle. I live in wester OR so dont' usually deal with cold temps.

What's the proper way to start these things?

Thanks!
You should be able to start the 6.5L without any throttle input..

I would start by going through your glow plug system.
Harness in good condition and all connections to glows good?
Replace the glow plugs if you haven't already.

You should also consider installing the Glow Plug Override mod listed in the FAQ to give you a manual glow control to allow to you give a little more glow time to heat the prechambers for easier starting.

Are you using an anti-gel additive in your fuel?
If not, you should be to protect the fuel system during those low temps
If you haven't done so in a while, change your fuel filter.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OKDually. Well...with these trucks there's never an excuse to be bored! Always something to check! LOL

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
If your glow plug system is operating properly it should start with your foot off the throttle.
You may need the glow plug override mod. That helps.
If you are using AC Delco 60g plugs. They take a bit longer to heat up than some other plugs. Newer trucks have a longer glow time programed into them for the 60G plugs. Bosch dura terms work better in older pre 96 trucks.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Almost positive the IP does not use throttle input while cranking, so any throttle position will be fine. The ECM controls fuel output at cranking.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i agree with checking the glow plugs. Ive been starting mine in single digit temps some mornings with a single glow cycle and as far as i know my glow plugs are the original from 1995. I also haven't plugged it in yet. I know I'm rolling the dice and winning on it starting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts