Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has been beat to death.

Anyway, general consensus is that the OEM Allison as a whole unit will be okay on a LB7 with a J/A set on 90 hp.

Which part is the weakest link? The OEM Allison clutches and internals or the OEM Torque converter? How much HP can the OEM Allison by itself live with and how much HP can the OEM Torque converter live with on a daily basis?

Curiosity is killing me.):h

Flame suit on!:weld:

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ok yes you should be safe on the 90hp setting, my dads truck has been on it for 40000 miles. The first weak link is the overdrive C2 and C3 clutches which can only handel about 100 rwhp extra. Once upgraded the next weak link becomes the torque converter which can do up to about 150 extra rwhp

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh!

But that is the new 6-speed, not the old 5-speed found behind the LB7.;) :lol:
:bow: :duh: Whoops...

Maybe MikeL has some comment about the 5-Speed... Too? :confuzeld

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok yes you should be safe on the 90hp setting, my dads truck has been on it for 40000 miles. The first weak link is the overdrive C2 and C3 clutches which can only handel about 100 rwhp extra. Once upgraded the next weak link becomes the torque converter which can do up to about 150 extra rwhp
Thats the kind of answers I am looking for!:ro) :grd:

So, is it the fluid coupling or the clucth in the OEM Torque converter that is failing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts