Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought My first Diesel. '06 Chevy Crew Cab Shortbox 4X4 LT model.
LBZ engine:D Lotsa power, but i want a little more. All I was thinking about doing was exhaust, intake, and a bullydog powerpup, which I would not run on the highest tune. No heavy towing, just for fun. Are transmission upgrades necessary with these power levels, and also how long should I let 'er brak in for before I do the bullydog?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
:welcome2: to the site. The LBZ is a heck of a motor by itself. With that said, the trans. will not handle much more power than stock. The converter has taken a dump on a few LBZ trucks with fairly small programs in them (Bully Dog). The upgrades are available and not priced to bad. I would stay away from tuning until you have a trans. built for it.

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
:welcome2: to the site. The LBZ is a heck of a motor by itself. With that said, the trans. will not handle much more power than stock. The converter has taken a dump on a few LBZ trucks with fairly small programs in them (Bully Dog). The upgrades are available and not priced to bad. I would stay away from tuning until you have a trans. built for it.
Well said.:D
The extra safety margin in the Allison is at its limit stock. Allison addressed the C2 and C1 but did nothing for C3. That is a big mistake. C3 now needs even more help than before because it is now heated up way too much. Synthetic fluid is now a must ( Mobil 1 is no longer going to cut it ) We are going to have to rethink C3 assembly ( already doing it ) to keep this clutch alive.
mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
so what would you say would be his first trans mod would be?

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
Look at it this way:

On the "old" 5 speed Allisons, anything over +100HP added to the engine is asking for trouble down the road. Thats just the nature of the beast.

Since the LBZ is already at +60HP over the LB7 and +50HP over the LLY, you should really only add +40 to 50HP to be safe with these new 6 speeds.

Otherwise, MikeL or Eric will become your new best friends.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, that kinda sucks:p: I guess I'll leave it at just exhaust for now then. It's a work truck so reliability is more important than performance. Might have to buy another one for play since this ones paying for itself anyway:D What kind of tranny upgrade would be necessary to handle a bullydog on the performance setting? and roughly how much would this run me installed?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Once Mike L gets done with the tranny you will be able to work and play with no worries. Many here are doing just that.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
This is interesting in that the LBZ power level that comes stock is right at the Allison power limit. It will be interesting to note if this causes lots of tranny failures as the unaware put programs on their trucks. Since ANY increase in power is pushing it - even a mild program will put your converter and clutches at risk.

Good news for tranny shops? Or bad news for chip makers as the word gets out that any chip will kill the trans?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Great question/thought!! I would have to think this is GREAT news for guys like Eric and Mike L.!!! Soon more aftermarket power options will be available for the LBZ and people will "have to have it". Looks like the occurence of trans upgrades may increase!

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Seems there is more interest every year in trans upgrades once people experience how much better the truck is with it.

Mike and I have talked about that for over a year now and he has become very knowledable on these little slush boxes.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Or...will GM put in a 500hp capable trans as a stock part? LOL LOL LOL!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts