Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,

I am getting ready to change my own oil for the first time. How many quarts of oil can I expect to see in the drain pan?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
10 providing you have a duramax.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I do not have a tub large enough.... Good thing I asked
I would hate to have to clean up 4 quarts of oil off of my driveway.

I do have a Duramax
Edited by: Mcfly

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Well actually probably close to 9. 1 quart in the filter. Still likely need a bigger tub

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
check into getting a fumoto valve, they make life easier when doing it yourself and the nipple will make the oil clear the skid plate if equipped so you dont make a mess. 10qts to fill with filter

Eric

·
Registered
817 Posts
McFly,

When you pull the plug, you will have misjudged how far the oil will shoot out.
You will make a mess unless you put the 6 quart behind the 10 quart. I have a large bag of speedy dry for just such "issues". I did it not once, but TWICE.
After that, I put on a Fumoto and had my first oil spill free change.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Good point Chris, I dont think about it because I just put my oil bucket right up to the drain and avoid that problem... Fumoto will solve all of those problems, best 20 bucks for the home guy

Eric

·
Registered
5 Posts
I second dmaxali's suggestion that you consider buying a fumoto valve (www.fumotovalve.com). After you do your first oil change, install the valve. Later when you drain the oil, open the valve and drain the oil into empty plastic 1 gallon milk cartons. You will need to save three for the job (10 qts). Get the valve with the angled nipple. I use a short piece of fuel line to attach to the nipple so I can put the container on the ground to avoid spills.

With these items you can open the valve and drain the oil until the carton is full. Then close the valve, and start on the next container. This also makes it very easy to deal with the used motor oil.

Good luck,

JackEdited by: Jack'sDmax

1 - 9 of 9 Posts