Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im buying a 2006 Duramax, I have driven fords all my life and this is my first Chev.... :ro) .

One thing im not too sure on is how much to lift my new truck. I run offroad quite a bit - i work in the oil industry, but mostly i will be putting on highway miles. However, I do need some extra clearance, i think the Duramax does sit a little too low stock.

How much of a lift would i need to put 285's on the stock 16" rims and how much lift would i need to fit 33-35 inch tires?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
285's should fit with just a small torsion bar crank, or a little trimming
33-35's it probably best to go with a 6" suspension lift, although you can fit them with green keys, blocks in the rear and some hacking

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Go with a 6" lift. You will be happier with the look and performance IMO. ;)

You work in the oil industry so I'm sure you can afford it! ):h

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
need pics

I think i'd like to go with a 4" lift, does anyone know if i can get one for a Duramax, does anyone have one, if so, whats it like and do you have any pictures?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
If you had a Ford 4x4 now getting a Chevy 4x4 the IFS on the Chevy will have alot more ground clearance than the solid front axle, BUT the rear axle hangs low. So your first plan of attack should be tires and then work the lift around that, maybe 4" or 6".

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
6 inch with 35's is what i would go with not to big not to small but that is just what i think

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
You can install green keys and run 285's with almost no issues, might have to do a little trim here and there. Otherwise you can run a 4" or 6" kit and possibly run a larger tire.. Good luck and Welcome to the Diesel Place..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i dont want to sound like an idiot, but what are "green keys" and are they any good?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Green keys are the torsion bar keys. They will give you about 2" of front lift without adding a full lift kit. You will need a front end alignment and possibly taller shocks. Good luck..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so that raises the front up, which is fine, but i feel its the rear diff i need to get out of the way. I take it the best way to do that is with rubber. I think 285's with the afore-mentioned 'green-keys' shoulld do it, but what needs trimmed? I see this comment a lot and i must admit im not too enthused about hacking away at my new truck.

Im heading down to Houston in April for a few weeks Bone Crusher, wheres the best bars?????

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
285's on stock wheels will fit just fine. If you go the torsion key route, crank the bars up, put a rear block in to level and you shouldn't have to trim hardly anything. If you do, it will be the lower valence on the front bumper--make a smooth cut and file the edge if you have to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
where do you buy these green keys?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi,

Im buying a 2006 Duramax, I have driven fords all my life and this is my first Chev.... :ro) .

How much of a lift would i need to put 285's on the stock 16" rims and how much lift would i need to fit 33-35 inch tires?

Welcome, You will love your new truck!

You shouldn't go bigger than 265s on the stock wheel. Some do it, But it isn't the best way to go.

285s are a very nice way to go, You don't need anything but wider rims and a few turns on the T bars. I had this setup and never needed green keys.

35s require a 6" lift. The downside to 35s is that you will take a hit on your mileage, around 3 MPG.
The first Upside is that unlike the gassers that do 35s and loose their power, The D-Max has PLENTY of power to spare.
The second Upside is that this setup looks Pissed!!!:ro)

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Just my two cents,find a good quality 6in. lift kit.Upgrade your steering ,because the factory setup is extremely WEAK and it WILL break! With a 6in. lift,you can run tires from 285(33in.) to a 35in.tall tire.And as far as running a 285 on the stock rim,they work just fine.I know a few guys who have over 45000 mi.on 285's and stock rims,and they tow big fifth wheels all summer long.I bought my truck w/285's from the dealer,it had no green keys and the tires fit just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts