Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 02 3500 duramax that i love and i just bought a power pup from bully dog for it. my question is what setting are you guys running with no other modifcations. i plan on doing exhaust this summer, but right now the truck is stock. i tow a 6 tonnne dump trailer for a roofing company on the weekends. the programmer has 48hp setting, then a 69hp setting that says light towing but says must use pyro and boost guauges and then a 138hp setting that is i guess set to kill. do you think it will wreck anything on the 69hp setting and towing that trailer, and should i worry about not having the pyro or guages. your advice would be appreciated. you guys are great.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Guages are a good idea anytime...because you are pulling, I would get guages before you install the programmer. They are a relatively cheap solution to grenading your turbo, motor...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't run the tunner without a pyro gauge if your towing. Otherwise you should be ok for just romps with up to 68hp. The 100+hp settings will ruin a stock tranny in no time.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yep gauges first, then you can play. If you just have to have more power w/o gauges use the lowest setting.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Gauges first
Exhaust Second
Programmer third

·
Registered
629 Posts
Clarification...

Gauges first
Exhaust Second
Programmer third
I agree with everyone above. However... :) ...what I've noticed is that when I tow my 14k trailer on LEVEL GROUND, the highest EGT's I've ever seen was 1200 with a stiff head wind going 65 MPH. Note: That was before I bought my Edge EZ... might go slightly higher now, but haven't been in those conditions since buying it. Anyway, my point is that towing 12k on FLAT GROUND (maybe even with a mild 50HP tune) will probably not cause EGTs to go any higher than 1250 degrees MAX, which should be fine. If you hit any hills or mountains... THAT will be another story. So the question for badboyz is: "In what kind of terrain do you tow?" --Paul.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i live in canada, just north of toronto, where there isn't that many hills i would worry about. i had a 99 7.3 powerstroke with a predator set at 80hp and it towed the trailer fine with no problems and it was completely stock and it had over 200k on it.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
You can't judge what EGT's will be by the size of the tune you are running. Some tunes have the same power output, but run significantly cooler than others. As an example the Predator tunes seem to run hotter than equal tunes from other programmers.

If I towed heavy a lot I would definitley get a set of gauges before adding a tune. You could probably get by without a pyro if you kept say a hypertech on the lowest setting, or if you went to TTS for a "tow-tune", but I would rather be safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts