Diesel Place banner

how much hp limps trannys

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  10851 
#1 ·
i would like to know is, how much hp do they take to limp, i have heard guys with hot juice being able to limp them, then i heard guys with the 210 vanaken not limping them, and so on, looks to be if you have tranny protection, you can pump more hp to them, or not

why i ask is 110 stacked with 70 does not(vanaken), but 110 with 95 does, on my truck, others reported they can handle 155 plus 125 hj, and still no limp on stock tranny, please report what you feel it can handle, and why, Edited by: fredw

#3 ·

Couple different things you have to consider ...

What box and how long will your tranny take the abuse .....

Not putting any boxes down so no one think that I am ... We all, well most quest for more power ...

There has been one box that I know of stay with in the Allison boundaries the 90 HP Juice ...

Stacking anything forgetaboutit ... I've tried just about everything I could get my paws on, early ... We all look for more power and I knew what I signed on for from the beginning ... I knew eventually my Allison would suffer so I slowed a bit waiting Tranny fixes to surface .....

Fixes were coming and Prior to my Suncoast implant I had to feather the throttle to pass at 70 mph on the interstate with "ONLY" the 90 MAX Juice ... Stock it was still golden but boring to me ..... My C1 C2 C5 all looked good ... Well, C3 C4 what can I say bad but not that bad ... Never mic'd or checked for fluctuation or distortion in the steels ...I was careful but yet enjoyed myself immensely.... No need to tear down a perfectly good unit in my eyes ...

Yes, in the beginning it would take all you would give it ... This process is slow deterioration do to the built in safety and limp mode and shift detuning ...

Example got a friend had to try everything I brought to the table Virgin tranny we called it..... Man it was fun to see, feel where my truck could not hold any more .... Long story short where the Virgin had no problem with HOT OJ, he can now occasionally zing it into neutral now... He is looking Suncoast ... So pour it on but save a little for the long run ... So yes in the beginning your tranny,if not sent to limp but slowly bring the power up will last a while, but in time it will deteriorate ... Pushed hard ran over 90 HP at the Rear Wheels ... Moderation = Time .... Select your time frame wisely ...

I must add Suncoast has healed all my wounds ,time is on my side now,let the games begin ... Four wheel drive burnouts are wicked in a dually !!! Unintentional as it was ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

#4 ·
Mackin said:

I must add Suncoast has healed all my wounds ,time is on my side now,let the games begin ... Four wheel drive burnouts are wicked in a dually !!! Unintentional as it was ...

Mac

I think we need to see a video of one of these "unintentional"
burnouts!

#5 ·
thanks guys, i guess i really must think how long i want my tranny to live, when you seen your tranny starting to slip, why did you not have your stealer fix it under warenty, can they tell some how

#6 ·
fredw said:
thanks guys, i guess i really must think how long i want my tranny to live, when you seen your tranny starting to slip, why did you not have your stealer fix it under warenty, can they tell some how

Can the dealer tell ?? I guess not ...It will take you a good many trips to get them to go and check slippage with a Tech II .... Stock my tranny would act next to normal,just a couple bumpy shifts relearning unloaded
.... Certainly wasn't going to bring it in flip a switch and say " Check this out " ....
One thing forsure is you play you pay,the way it should be .... Really what good would it do anyone,not to mention it wouldn't be right ?? You'd be right back in ,in 6 months,or would you stop putting the coals to it ?? Second time they tell you forgetaboutit .... This gets into the documintation of "RED" flags,they start peeking around asking questions ... Upgrade to a Suncoast and be done with it,IMO ...

Mac

#7 ·
I have less then 3500 miles running stock, and more then 37,800 running a minimum of 70 added horse power. The most I have seen is 403 rwhp. (G-Tech) I am sure the tranny is being abused, but it is still holding up great with 110 added hp. 360 rwhp is fine, 380 rwhp will zing it over 93-95 mph on full power runs.

#10 ·
Mackin

Quit amazing the "loss" with stock Allison .... Everyone says "stock" sucks ,wait till they Suncoast their beast ..... I need brakes !!!!! How true it is, quiet unbeleivable. A totally new beast to tame.

Whats on the grill
I;ll take mine well done. Was gonna fool around with some pane this fall or winter when i get time. Later Jeremy

#12 ·
a prevous post i did, as for warrenty, none with gm, 12month, 12 mile with suncoast

did some calling today to see the prices for each tranny upgrade, talked to joe at suncoast, he then refered me to to suncoast dealers in montana, i call them and the price at the one shop was 2100us dollars for a level two upgrade or 2700cdn. dollars
then called eric at ats, he then said his tranny upgrade level two was more for larger hp, and thought level one was all i needed, gave me a dealer in edmonton, call him, he said the same, level two is very serious, can adjust shift points for your driving, race application would actually squeal tires threw first three shifts, this is how hard it would shift, but you could adjust for solfter everyday shifting, also the lower shift pressures would give the tranny longer life than others, also said level two could handle over 650rwhp, he has seen, but the price for level one was 3600cdn dollars and 800 dollars for install, level two was another 1800 dollars, he felt level one is all i needed for a stacked combo

one thing i did see threw this is i respect my stock tranny a bit more now, also seen that bd has a tranny upgrade on the bombers site, but did not call them yet

#13 ·
better talk to the big dipper about level one ats along with kennedy........king d can share some info on the bd.....mike t has good results with the ats top level......well 14k+miles on my suncoast with absolutley no issues speaks for its self.......mine is a inhouse level 3.5........kennedy is a dealer for suncoast also

#14 ·
BennyBoy said:
How do I get a suncoast tranny. I live in maryland where do I go to get the upgrades done to my truck by suncoast? What about warranty does this void the stock trannys warranty since it is a aftermarket tranny?
Road trip .... Do it yourself with help ... Any qualified tranny shop can swap one out ....

Yes the Warranty would be done with the Allison and your dealer .... After beefing it you wouldn't want them messing with it anyway IMO ....

Just do it !!!!!

Mac

#15 ·
Does this suncoast tranny stay in 5th gear on the highway better when the engine is at stock power? or does it just shift the second it hits a hill and what about tow haul mode does it work the same with a suncoast as far as locking the t/c and down shifting going down the hills?

#16 ·
I find the tranny shifts quicker and firmer stock (I'm hardly there ,mostly cold) than before .... A few quirks I had ,one two abrubt shift is gone ....

Tow haul is the same and so is Overdrive ,sep in my case it holds now under POWER .....

Mac

I'll let you in on a lil secret ..... SHHHHH .... With the Suncoast a launch (far from full throttle) Non existing Juice 70 pressure, when it spools up it barks first shifts and CATCHES Rubber in second ... I mean catches rubber ..... Dually mind you .... I took a Dodge Cummins friend for a ride ,he wouldn't take me for a ride in his milidly bombed truck afterwards .....

I need to BOLT down my HEAVY tool box with pane tank in a box behind that, as it busted thru the clamps and slid away from the cab ....

#17 ·
properly juiced no more 5-4 shifts on the intertstate.........gotta luv the 5th gear accelleration.....mackin just wait till you stack "pane" with a 215 and a comp juice.....make shure your tail gates latched........dave

#18 ·
This thread has shifted (pun intended
) I was thinking that the ATS tranny would be a very good bet, but I have learned over the past week that John Kennedy could blow his ATS up at will, Blackjet has distroyed his ATS and can limp it very easily, And Michael Tomac has the clutches in his ATS pretty much distroyed. With Michael`s truck he has had about 100 or so 1500 rpm launches in 4 wheel drive, That would probably kill just about any transmission.

sdaver; How hard do you run your truck? I would guess it`s not anything like Michael treats his truck.

#19 ·
suncoast has had problems with burned up c1 clutches just like ats has in high hp trucks dragracing

#20 ·
I've had a QUAD 135HP for a little while now and although I don't get on it very often, I do find that since day 1, I can put it in limp mode at will (guess it's more than 365 RWHP!). Tonight with it fully warmed up (about 55mi. hwy driving), I came into town and back out, 2 lanes with right ending about 1/2 a block past the last set of lights. I was in the right lane and a hot truck that was behind me decided to jump out so put it down (a fairly rare event) to avoid being squeezed out of pavement. I think it was a new Dodge Hemi. I did manage to keep ahead but shortly after 5th, limp mode...this one I would have expected but I've had others, just driving normally, barely into 5th, put it down maybe 1/2 way and LIMP! All other gears appear to be performing perfectly. Also shows the overboost error every time when this happens. I don't recall it ever happening in 110HP mode. Would this be classified as normal for the 135HP Quad? If I upgrade the Ally, what's the best way of dealing with the overboost code or do you just ignore it? Also, if it's going into limp mode, isn't this to protect the tranny, therefore there should be minimal wear and tear? I've never launched in 4WD or with turbo spool-up. Surely 1/2 a dozen limps per year isn't going to have too much effect on longevity or am I seriously deluding myself?Edited by: HDLD

#21 ·
I also have the 135hp tune, and have yet to limp the Allison. I do however usually get out of the throtle by 80mph, as I am paraniod by what I keep reading. I recently switched from the stock 245 tires to Hummer H2 315 tires, so I am worried that I won't have the same luck I have had in the past. I guess I better start building up a trans fund. Edited by: Amric

#22 ·
HDLD said:
I've had a QUAD 135HP for a little while now and although I don't get on it very often, I do find that since day 1, I can put it in limp mode at will (guess it's more than 365 RWHP!). Tonight with it fully warmed up (about 55mi. hwy driving), I came into town and back out, 2 lanes with right ending about 1/2 a block past the last set of lights. I was in the right lane and a hot truck that was behind me decided to jump out so put it down (a fairly rare event) to avoid being squeezed out of pavement. I think it was a new Dodge Hemi. I did manage to keep ahead but shortly after 5th, limp mode...this one I would have expected but I've had others, just driving normally, barely into 5th, put it down maybe 1/2 way and LIMP! All other gears appear to be performing perfectly. Also shows the overboost error every time when this happens. I don't recall it ever happening in 110HP mode. Would this be classified as normal for the 135HP Quad? If I upgrade the Ally, what's the best way of dealing with the overboost code or do you just ignore it? Also, if it's going into limp mode, isn't this to protect the tranny, therefore there should be minimal wear and tear? I've never launched in 4WD or with turbo spool-up. Surely 1/2 a dozen limps per year isn't going to have too much effect on longevity or am I seriously deluding myself?

Mine will limp with the 135 HP rolling on the throttle in 5th ........It seems to Zing at 75-85 mph.

I know my tranny is weakening as it has gotten worse. I am waiting for Spring for a SUNCOAST install. I have not decided if I am driving to Florida or having one shipped. It will depend on my travel plans.

In any event some will say that any power mod over 90 hp will cause some kind of tranny damage over time. Maybe the Hot OJ or 110 tune won't, it is hard to say, it also depends alot on what kind of driving habitswe all have and what that will do to a truck's tranny.

I know I am not real hard on the truck
, but the power I have stacked thru it has taken it's toll on the Allison in the last 12 months.

I have been waiting for a little while to see what else would develope in recent months..I believe Suncoast has a fix for C1 now.

I knew what I was getting into, so it's not a surprise to me.

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

#23 ·
Well as I believe hoot is prone to say, if you play, you pay...unfortunately, there's no gauge for tranny wear except noting further signs like increased liklihood of limping and/or zinging. I think I've zinged the 1st 2 times as I was able to put it back by going to neutral but the last 2 required shutting it off with DIC message when it was put in park so I'll take that as a limp. Just wish I could estimate the associated decrease in longevity more accurately. Guess I'll have to learn when to lay off. Haven't played with it enough yet to finesse the pedal while trying to move it as fast as possible. Oh no...practice is bad, very bad.

#24 ·
I almost hate to ask this question. I may not like the answer..well here it goes..I am running regular juice on #3 (75 hp) while not towing.. #2 (40 hp) while towing..I roll into the throttle slowely, and I do not do launches..do you think that I am killing my tranny? Thanks..

#25 ·
10851 said:
I almost hate to ask this question. I may not like the answer..well here it goes..I am running regular juice on #3 (75 hp) while not towing.. #2 (40 hp) while towing..I roll into the throttle slowely, and I do not do launches..do you think that I am killing my tranny? Thanks..

NAHHHHHHHHHHHH,

You should be OK.

FOR NOW

Seriously though, I beleive you are staying under the HP levels of causing any long term damage.

Once you go over 90 HP then start worrying.

T
NY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.