Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say I bought a 2002 Chevy Silverado that had the LB7 motor in it, but the injectors havent been replaced and I am having the symptoms of needing new injectors.

How much would the injectors cost? What other parts or hardware do you need? Whats the average labor charge for changing the injectors? What is involved in changing the injectors?

And, the most important question, if I am very mechanically savy (which I am), can I change the injectors myself?

Lets assume that the truck would be out of warranty and I have to pay for it-worst case scenario.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can do it! I completed mine last week, just need time. Strip the air lines, strip the electical harness, strip the fuel lines and stuff, then you can get started.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let me correct myself, I did the head gasket job, and the injectors would have been much easier, since I pulled the injectors anyway.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah it's not hard,, just time consuming. The labor guides I think quote 8hrs. I advise you to change your fuel filter after the job and you'll need some assembly adhesive (grey silicone) for the valve covers. Do yourself a favor and pull the front tires off to put the front end on the ground and save your back a little. I also advise you to properly torque all the fuel lines to help prevent leaks. I've seen a bunch of cracked sealing washers from being overtightened. Make sure your injector feed line ends are clean before reassembly.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I did mine. I wish I hadn't wasted $80 on the injector puller. Use the shank from one of your air chiesel bits instead.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Let me correct myself, I did the head gasket job, and the injectors would have been much easier, since I pulled the injectors anyway.

Man, way to go!

I plan to keep my truck for alittle while, and will do my injectors if I ever have to. I just hope I never need the head gaskets!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lets say I bought a 2002 Chevy Silverado that had the LB7 motor in it, but the injectors havent been replaced and I am having the symptoms of needing new injectors.

How much would the injectors cost? What other parts or hardware do you need? Whats the average labor charge for changing the injectors? What is involved in changing the injectors?

And, the most important question, if I am very mechanically savy (which I am), can I change the injectors myself?

Lets assume that the truck would be out of warranty and I have to pay for it-worst case scenario.
Well I have seen the injectors from 150 a piece to 350, plus core. And a tool for the injecorts. 80 bucks might be worth it to have the correct tool. Do the math.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tolliwacker,

I did learn several time saving things, one is, you can't always believe alldatadiy, the reason, you don't have to pull the turbo. After I fought a couple of the exhaust bolts, and found some bolts that I wouldn't have been able to even get to, I took another look at the head, ask my helper buddy what he thought, "give it a try", both heads clear. Also pull the left head with the exhaust manifold bolted to it, steering shaft was in my way. I wasted a couple of hours fighting the turbo exhaust pipes. I didn't lower the front of the truck, I'm a tall guy, and early in the job things went good, but the deeper you get, lowering the front would have been the thing to do, I ended up standing on old wooden ammo crates to easy the pain on the old back. I ended up with about $600 in the job with some shop supplies, and some sockets that I didn't have, far cry from what a dealer gets to do the job. This was my first time working with a diesel engine, all my experience had been with gassers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
200k warranty on the injectors at the dealer

I am a service manager at a gm shop, dont waste your time on doing injectors yourself unless you have over 200k. A good tech in a light duty truck can do them in 4 hrs on medium duty truck it will take about 6 hrs

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
I am a service manager at a gm shop, dont waste your time on doing injectors yourself unless you have over 200k. A good tech in a light duty truck can do them in 4 hrs on medium duty truck it will take about 6 hrs
Why don't you share with us where a good tech can be found? Inquiring minds wanna know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why don't you share with us where a good tech can be found? Inquiring minds wanna know.
Not only that, but while it might take them 4 or 6 hours to do it, you bet your sweet a** that chevy is gonna charge every last minute of what the book time is.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Not only that, but while it might take them 4 or 6 hours to do it, you bet your sweet a** that chevy is gonna charge every last minute of what the book time is.
got that right

lol on your uncle too

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Thanks for the 200 k info will keep it in mine, sorry dealer ships and salesdicks get bashed around here. You have great insite with your job we all need help. Look to hearing form you in future

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Chevy pays for warranty work:exactly:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
They pay if they can't find an excuse not too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Chevy pays for warranty work:exactly:
If it were under warranty he wouldn't be asking if he could do it himself.....

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If it were under warranty he wouldn't be asking if he could do it himself.....
I THINK IT WAS/ Lets assume the truck would be out of warranty and I have to pay for it-worst case cenario. 200k warranty on the injectors at the dealer. Getpower might be ok and save some money

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hell yeah,,, thats how we make money on flat rate...
If it took longer then book time I wouldn't get paid any more so you win some and you lose some. I have cut some breaks from time to time but with as slow as we'd get in the winter months,,, you can't afford to do that to much.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If its warranty work get what you can, book time is good for you guys

·
Registered
18 Posts
does anyone know the codes set when then injectors and going bad or are bad ...p0094 or p0093 maybe?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts