Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a stalling problem with my truck that I am trying to diagnose. I am trying to figure out what it will cost to repair in the worse-case scenario. I went to a local shop that I have had work done at before and they are very honest and reputable. Their diesel guy told me that a New (not reman) injection pump w/ PMD installed would be about $1650.

Does this price sound decent to you guys??

Thoughts?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Brent, looks like this guy just did some research about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
US$1091,00 in a great GM dealer (Florida)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guy says he can get me the pump with PMD shipped for $1250 and then about $400 for labor. Is it worth it or should I just get a reman?

None of the other thread prices had labor on them. How hard is it to install? I am fairly mechanically inclined...I have done clutches, waterpumps, starters,etc and have a fairly large supply of tools. Should I attempt it? or is it worth the $400 for piece of mind?

·
Registered
148 Posts
it's a PITA you have to take the intake off and you also need a tech2 to time it.. 400 is not bad for a install and time.. $1091 is a reman list by the way or so I was told from GM...

I would do a remote PMD if you going for a pump and just keep one as a spare..

Johnny

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Stanadyne has raised the price again this year so if you find a sweet deal I wouldn't wait long. Some of our $995 remans were actually new units depending on core and parts availability, but with the price increase, I doubt we'll see any more new units sold as reman.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Brisk;

Are your sure your IP is the culprit? Why not talk to us and tell us whats going on. Many times shops just tell you it;s the IP and it could be something less costly like the OPS, Lift Pump, PMD, bad electrical connections. These IP's are pretty robust some of the other things related to them are not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NO im not sure that it is the problem. I just want to be prepared for the worst case scenario. I HATE dealing with repair shops and have finally found one that is cool and honest. I try to do everything myself but there are some things that I am not capable of (this being one of them). The guy at the shop said he will diagnose the problem for me and we will go from there. He said if the closure rates are good and everything else checks out we will look right past the Inj. pump.

The problem is that the truck stalls intermitantly. it doesnt stumble then die it just shuts off. It always fires right back up without a fight. There is no consistancy with when it shuts down and sometimes it does it 3 times in 2min or it wont do it at all for 2 days.

PMD was replaced 10mos ago (18000miles) with relocater. Lift pump works, fuel-shut off solonoid was replaced 5mos ago (10000miles).

Any thing else?? Thanks guys:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
That does not sound like a IP to me.. Have you changed your OPS yet???
Kinda sounds like a PMD or a OPS..
could be a short in the fuel shut off..
any codes pop up??

MY IP is bad now it does not stall but it is a real B*tch to start and smokes for a good 5 mins. My closure time is like 2.2 so..

Later
Johnny

·
Registered
74 Posts
i just replaced mine.keep in mind i own a buisness so i got a discount.pump and new seals and gaskets to do the job were about $800. a friend of mine is the diesel teck at the dealer and replaced at his house for $200.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is the lowdown on rebuilt pumps? Gomers doesn't sell rebuilt DS4 pumps. They claim if you replace the electronics like you should, then they cost as much as a new pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts