Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much fluid is lost when changing the Allison spin-on filter? Also, how do you fill the transmission fluid back up?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Roughly a pint, nothing to worry about..:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Only the amount that's in the filter. Just prefill the filter and spin it on; practically no loss.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, and can I get the spin on from any Allison authorized dealer?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Great, and can I get the spin on from any Allison authorized dealer?
thats the only place you should get it. I pay about 8 bucks each. I think the stealer wanted about 40 or 50. I just laughed when they told me that and went right to the local International dealer. They also had the right trans fluid needed to top off your tranny

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when I call an Allison dealer, should I ask for it by part number or by what its called?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
the allison/international dealer should know what you're talking about right away. Just tell them it's for an allison out of a GM truck or the 1000

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I get mine at an Allison dealer but always have the part# with me .Some parts counter folks are not good at looking up stuff,a parts# works everytime.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just tell them it's the little red spin on filter on the 1000, they'll know exactly what your looking for.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Don't forget to clean and replace the magnet

·
Registered
164 Posts
I stopped at my local Allison dlr to pick up a filter last week (I've bought several there). They had a new guy behind the counter and he didn't have a clue!! He finally found somebody that did, you think they would team them up with an experienced partsperson before they turn them loose.:driver:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
How much fluid is lost when changing the Allison spin-on filter? Also, how do you fill the transmission fluid back up?

Thanks guys!

Kevin
The filler neck is the what holds the dipstick. You have to get one of those long skinny funnels and it's a snap.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The filler neck is the what holds the dipstick. You have to get one of those long skinny funnels and it's a snap.
Thanks timberwolf. Never worked on anything transmission related. Now I know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kennedy Diesel has them. He's a suppporter on these web sites.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is the stock ATF fluid that they put in the Allison 1000. I have 8000 miles on mine and am going to change the spin on and am curious as to what type of ATF to put in the filter. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts