Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a stock 2500 HD with 265's on it. I am trying to determine, what type of ball mount to buy for towing a lowboy/carhauler setup. Should I get the 2" drop? I have seen some similar trucks around town and this lookd about right. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also wondering about a ball mount I saw at Northern Tool. It is "cushioned"????

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay3?storeId=6970&productId=47815&R=47815

To me this sounds like it might not be as stout, but it is rated real high and I think this might help from stretching the hole for the pin in my stock receiver. Any thoughts?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
If you can measure level height of the trailer and setup the hitch accordingly that would be your best bet. Most of the time it will be just fine with a 2" drop, concidering the height of our trucks.
As far as that receiver from NT, I've looked at it before and I'm kind of on the fence with it. It looks like it will help with the trailer jerking but I don't know the quality or longjevity of the hitch. If you trailer has surge brakes it may affect that also. I guess I'm with the theory of simpler is better, just get a good quality ball and mount and make sure it has the correct load cap. for what you are pulling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts