Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a Duramax and I am getting all the information I can before I get my first diesel. I would like to know how much I would need to worry about fuel gelling in the winter and all about that topic. I live in North Central Ohio and we don't get super cold winters but you know it's not florida. How much more maintenance is a Duramax than my Z71? I would do all the fluids and everything. I printed out a maintenance sheet from Dmaxallitech I think. Thank's Adam

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
We saw -40 numerous times this winter. I never had any problems at all with gelling. Neither did anyone I know who drives a diesel. I didn't even run any additive until the end of winter. Buy quality fuel when possible and run an additive and I doubt you will ever have any problems.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should you have to plug it in every time you go somewhere for a long time? I know it's good to plug it in over night. Just trying to get as much helpful information I can.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It will start fine in any temperature. It helps to plug it in when it gets really cold though. I personally don't bother until it gets around 0. At 0 it still starts really good. Once it gets to about -15 it will start but it starts better plugged in.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, Thank's Max Power

·
Registered
91 Posts
Z71 Grizzly

Mine was in a parking lot this winter in Willard near you and it started excellent when the the local temp. was -9F it has set there for two days. For whats its worth. I had no problem but a f**d guy with a pwr smoke need a jump from a guy with a 1/2 ton chev.

Engineer Bill

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This forum is soooo helpful with all the questions I ask.
Thank's for the info Adam. Learning about diesel power!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have never plugged my truck in or had any problems gelling, also live in Ohio-Indiana. I did have a buddy though, on his way to Michigan, he had gelling problems with his Duramax, I think if he had an extra filter to put on he would have been fine.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mean that dual filter setup? Does that help that much

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
No, I meant if he had a factory replacement filter to put on, since the old one was gelled up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh ok. Little by little I'm learning alot about the Dmax and the truck it goes in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">i live up in the canadian north and work for a fuel company. You shouldnt have to worry about gelling if your fuel supplier puts winter disel in the tanks. Our winter diesel is rated at -52C so it would be good at -40F. By the way it sometimes gets -60C up here
</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
"By the way it sometimes gets -60C up here" yea but thats what 85*F or something

Run Meijers fuel, it has Schaeffers additive in it, I dump a little extra in for good measure.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I live in upstate NY and I had a problem this winter. Temps dropped like a rock from morning to night and on the way home from work she gelled up and died in a 1/4 mile.

I don't think the fuel actually gelled but my filter may have iced or waxed. I was running an additive (howe's) but it still died. Towed to dealer and thawed....fired right up the next day. Dealer put a superdose of additive in it and all was well. I chnaged the filter two tanks later because I thought I got a bad load of fuel.

It's not a huge problem but something to watch for and take some preventative measures.

·
Registered
868 Posts
In Southern VT we regularly saw -15F this winter but I had no problems using local fuel without adding any additives. If you get fuel from a reasonable volume dealer in your area, the fuel should be sufficiently winterized for local conditions.

I have heard about people having problems who have auxiliary fuel tanks and were still running on fuel that they had purchased hundreds of miles south of here. South Carolina fuel in winter may not work in Vermont. This is widely known by over the road truckers.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank's for the info guy's. Learning more everyday

1 - 17 of 17 Posts