Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding different wheel/tire and weight combinations. Because this is dealing with a strickly performance issue, I thought this would be a good area to ask the question. I have 20" wheels and 285/55/20 tires. The weight is 90 pounds a piece. I'm looking at putting 285/75/16s on the stock rims. The 16" wheel and tire combination is 70 pounds a piece. How much is the 20" combo going to hurt me E.T. wise in th 1/4? Is reducing 20 pounds per wheel and tire going to help that much? I'm looking for added performance but am wondering on average how much it would help? Would it be a tenth or as much as 3 tenths, any ideas or experience with reduction in wheel/tire weight reduction? Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
probably not much help but I have raced several Turbo Diesel suburbans and Trans AMs at the track. I would guess just the wieght alone could make as much difference as 1 tenth. With as much tork as your probably putting out the % weight difference shouldn't be more than that.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Every 100 lbs is good for 1 tenth not sure about rotating mass

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
every 100 lbs is good for 1 tenth is right....for gassers! i had a 15lb swing on slicks to what i normally race with. on the day i raced with slicks, i drove there with steel wheels and heavier 285-75-16 mudders. i would say my weight was at least 20+ per corner. netted me .12 difference. the slicks were 30" tall and the mudders were just short of 33". some people figure at least 200lbs/tenth, but its not really being backed up on paper though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.