Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.5 manual ip that is fresh i have put the banks turbo on it and it runs awsome. when i lug the motor lots of black smoke but normal driving with the occassional flooring not much smoke. I have turned the pump up about 3/4 of a turn and the egt is about 1050-1100 witch is great towing 10k but now i have water inj one the way to lower egt. How much more can i turn the fuel up before it just waste fuel.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ill tell you what i turned up my ip on the 93 1/4 turn per your directions and theres lots of black smoke at WOT and im gettin 13.5 mpg steady i know im wasting fuel but i like it so i try and take it easy my best guess is that your already wasting fuel being 3/4 of turn any more you might as well turn the pump on and let it go on the ground but what do i know

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Black smoke, contrary to popular belief, is wasted fuel, with high EGT's and engine coolant temps.

Black smoke is fuel that was at combustiion temperature, but insufficient oxygen caused fire to go out.

Now you got 1700deg wet mist heading out the exhaust valve

No method of charge-air cooling is gonna reduce high EGT due to gross unburned fuel.

Get some more air in there to mix, burn all the fuel, EGT's will drop.

Unburned fuel is dense, carries 1700deg combustion temp out the exhaust path.

Fully burned fuel is less dense, dry, not enough mass to hold combustion temp = lower EGT.

Black smoke is lost power

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
How does one get the turbo to spool up faster?
Because mine blows black to about 1200-1400 then the turbo spools up and it is gone.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
You've got a fairly free exhaust system, so you'll need to modulate the accelerator pedal, reducing fuel till the turbo spools up.

If you modified the turbo to spool quicker, it would be restrictive at higher rpm.

That is a catch-22 sorta thing.

Some finesse will give the best of both worlds = more power + better fuel consumption at greater load.

'Course, this is just me, but black smoke is embarassing, outta my trucks - gives the appearance that it's not in a good state of tune.

Doesn't look quite so bad outta stacks, even knowing that it is a waste, but out from under a truck - well, that's another thing, altogether.

KnowwhuttImean?

·
Registered
628 Posts
How does one get the turbo to spool up faster?
Because mine blows black to about 1200-1400 then the turbo spools up and it is gone.
I would blame it partly on altitude for you (seems you are at 2300 feet, or 700 meters or so). When I lived in Denver (5600 feet), black smoke was real bad off idle (like taking off from dead stop) until turbo spooled, and when I was up your way, it was better, but not gone like at sea level.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Your Banks Turbo is non wastegated right? What's the max boost your getting out of it? Is your IP a 4911? 3/4 turn on a stock 4911 will put your WOT near 80cc. Without any aneroid or other fuel / air adjusting mechanism, your going to get black smoke anytime you hit the throttle. The only way to get rid of the smoke is to ease onto the throttle as the boost gauge comes up.

A wastegated turbo does have considerable advantages, faster spool up and adjustable peak boost. If your's is wastegated, then perhaps I can tell you how to tweak it a bit.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I still have the stock DPand crossover if i change that would that help.I was reading your reply GMCTD and was wondering why you would say that and it hit me my signature is misleading sorry

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Was merely editorializing, fm5, not pointing any fingers - you probably have no idea how many new Dodge\Cummins owners show up on those forums (and some here), wanting to make more black smoke.

However - the bit about finesse needed to control black smoke, rather than modifying the turbo, was presented for your consideration.:)

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
If your system is properly set up you will get a puff of black at outset, then tapering off to a light brown haze as turbo spools up and provides the air to complete the burn.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Doc that is what it does under heavy foot, but i read that if the turbo was to spool faster it would not blow black smoke as bad from idle to 1400.
And black smoke is lost of power and needs more air.

GMCTD no i understand my bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts