Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ran down to Elkhart, IN to pickup and enclosed trailer. For reference purposes the trailer was/is a 6x12 Wedge Front, single axle, with 6ft interior height.

The trip down was uneventful - cruising at 70mph, running 6lbs boots and 600*F EGT (pre-turbo). The trip back was 'uneventful' too, but the gauge readings were significantly different - 65mph, 9-12lbs boost, and 750*F EGT. I should note that the majority of the trip bak was against a STIFF head/crosswind.

My questions is this. With the mods in my sig, on a stock 6.5 block, how long can one run the higher boost pressures without doing damage?

BTW, round-trip mileage worked out to 18.5mpg.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
U will be OK with 12 PSI max as you have said, many guys here run 15 PSI and have been for years and thousands of miles without failure. YOur modest boost levels are not too bad and ur EGT's seemed right in the mix.

What kinda trailer, snowmobile trailer?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My truck runs strong with 9-12 lbs boost on the highway (no trailer) egt's usually just below 600, the truck could run at this boost level all day long with no problems.

boost peaks at 17 psi (rarely)

your egt's seem healthy. Mileage is good too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kinda trailer, snowmobile trailer?
Regular enclosed cargo trailer. Gotta have something to haul the full-body goose decoys I use during goose season. They've multiplied to the point I couldn't get them all in the bed of the truck w or w/o the canopy on, let alone have room for the 100lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a layout blind. They can multiply all they want now!

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to blow something soon. I've read the horro stories of guys running 'big boost' only to have everything come loose, and 'have to' go thru the 18-1 build up.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yesterday I ran down to Elkhart, IN to pickup and enclosed trailer. For reference purposes the trailer was/is a 6x12 Wedge Front, single axle, with 6ft interior height.

The trip down was uneventful - cruising at 70mph, running 6lbs boots and 600*F EGT (pre-turbo). The trip back was 'uneventful' too, but the gauge readings were significantly different - 65mph, 9-12lbs boost, and 750*F EGT. I should note that the majority of the trip bak was against a STIFF head/crosswind.

My questions is this. With the mods in my sig, on a stock 6.5 block, how long can one run the higher boost pressures without doing damage?

BTW, round-trip mileage worked out to 18.5mpg.
I've held steady at 15 psi for several minutes pulling the snot out of mine coming home from Alabama this past fall. EGTs never got over 900, except maybe one time.

SnowDrift

·
Registered
374 Posts
Your fuel mileage is fantastic. Wish my Suburban did that well. I've got 4.10's too. Wow!

Perhaps opening my exhaust and intake would improve my mileage?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks to you guys, I'm learning allot about diesel engines and I would like to thank each and everyone of you.

Now for the question, how can you achieve more boost? My truck is completely stock so what can I do to it? I'm happy with the current power output it has but more is always welcome. Can you upgrade the turbo's on these engines?

Thanks again,

Pete..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts