Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the info is here somewhere but I tried a search but I tried a search under "Allison fluid capacity" and came up empty!
I need to change the Dextron (yes I am one of the few folks on the planet that still runs Dextron in my Allison) in my tranny and would apprecite someone letting me know how many quarts I'll need.

Jim

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Flush or just drain ?? Deep or shallow pan ?? Thought it was a simple question EH ??

These numbers are initial fill .....
Fluid Capacity (Approximate):
Dry: Deep Pan: 14 liters (15 qt.)
Shallow Pan: 12 liters (13 qt.)

When I just drain my deep pan I get approx 2.5 gallons,shallow would be 2 gallons ..... If your going to flush have at least 5 gallons on hand .... Giving the availability to flush converter and cooler and lines ....

Based on them numbers when my tranny was done with triple lock it took just over 5 gallons to get her full if I remember correctly .... So have extra on hand nevertheless .....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mackin said:
Flush or just drain ?? Deep or shallow pan ?? Thought it was a simple question EH ??

These numbers are initial fill .....
Fluid Capacity (Approximate):
Dry: Deep Pan: 14 liters (15 qt.)
Shallow Pan: 12 liters (13 qt.)

When I just drain my deep pan I get approx 2.5 gallons,shallow would be 2 gallons .....
Mac

Mine is stock (at least in that area
) and all I plan to do is pull the drain plug and change the spin on filter. Last time I did it, I added way to much and had to pull the drain plug a second time .... being mentally in full blown CRS, I can't remember how many quarts I finally used .... think I will start with 2 gallons and see if more is needed .... Thanks Mac

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you know the level is right before you start, find a way to measure how much drains out. Then prefill the filter before putting it on. That will get you back to where you were and not overfilling. Someone mentioned this before or I would have done the same thing. Most people switch to transynd (pricey) for lonevity and durabilaty. I think GM recomends it for heavy towing (equal also to juice?). Amsoil also came out with fluid for the allison but there hasn't been much feedback on it yet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Think it's about a pint shy of two gallons. 7 and 1/2 quarts on my last two changes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
GM computer printout from service info says 7.4 qts for drain & refill, 12.7 qts for complete rebuild.

Close friend, who is certified Chev techician with all the schools GM has to offer, says have 14 qts on hand for using flush machine.

That,s what I intend to do when the time comes, I only have 12k now.

And I intend to use Amsoil syn. I have it in my '94 MK8 Lincoln, and the success I had with it in curing TC clutch lockup shudder { fact of life with FOMOCO 4R70W trans} led me to become an Amsoil dealer. Nothing else I tried would work for over 7k-8k, then shudder returned.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really appreciate the info ... will add 7 quarts then check as I add more ....

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts