Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 07 LBZ and love to hear the turbo whistle once I let off the gas around 1st, 2nd, an 3rd gear. Usually around town I'm driving Miss daisy, but if a good song comes on I'll drive it a lil harder.

The law of diminishing return doesn't apply to that turbo whistle!! I could hear it all day long. Am I going to wear out the turbo faster than 'normal'?

I do let it idle for a minute before shut-off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Good turbo life is letting it cool down after towing so you dont "cook the bearings" (ie if the oil gets hot enough you will get "coke" on your bearing), good cool down letting yourself get oil up there before flooring it (turbos spin very fast, you dont want it spinning before oil pressure gets up there), and clean oil will lead to very long lives.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
like others have said, boosting a turbo isn't going to hurt it. heck, that's what it's designed for. what will wear it out is shutting the truck off without cooling it properly. i see a lot of misinformed people posting on here about letting a turbo cool to a certain egt. that's just not the case. egt does not show the temp. of the bearings inside a turbo. let it idle for about 30 seconds after driving. you just don't want the turbo to spool down without any oil flowing through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts