Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont want to blow anything up, just yet... whats a good safe mileage you guys recommend before putting the Edge or BD on? I am at 4000

·
Registered
346 Posts
I waited 2500 miles, then never hit the gas too hard. Just remember to be gentle, allow the allison to get used to the power. And as of right now Bully Dog is the only 1 of your 2 to have a product out. Edge comes out in June I believe. Hope that info helped.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i had a duramax mechanic tell me to wait until about 20k

·
Registered
693 Posts
20K is 2 years for me, not gonna happen

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
'06 with 16k on it, just made 350hp last weekend with the BD on "Performance"

20k wtf?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I put the bully dog on at 9000 miles. As far as the trans learning, Mike from Inglewood transmissions told me that you should drive aggressively when adding power to help the trans learn. I was also taking it easy. He said aggressive, but not hammering the throttle for a while. Just thought I would pass this on.

RichLockyer - do you have any issues with the trans on "power" mode? I am on power as well, and it really pulls nice, just can not afford a trans upgrade at the moment.:(

·
Registered
284 Posts
I dont want to blow anything up, just yet... whats a good safe mileage you guys recommend before putting the Edge or BD on?
I put mine on at 1600. (I now have 3400)

I tried the "Performance" setting "Once", just to see what it would do. WOT the truck felt like a 747 was out front pulling me at take-off... Wheels "Chirped" in second and third... then I got out of it. :muahaha:

I went back to "Tow/Economy" and have been there since... (Took it off, altogether, twice to check fuel-mileage) I get 16.6 MPG (now) around town with the Pup installed. (On Tow/Econ)

I think if you're "Conservative" you won't have a problem... IMHO

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Performance is nice.... ya, it really scoots hopping on the freeway.
Most noticeable difference is under those 1/4 throttle "cruise" acceleration runs up an onramp, the defueling during the shifts is VERY noticeable.

No issues with the trans, but I'm not getting on it all the time. My reason with going for "Performance" was hoping that it might provide a bit better fuel economy than tow/eco if I keep my foot out of it.
I might back down to tow/eco to see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry if I am hi-jacking this thread, but I am also checking milage. So far, the Power setting seems to be better milage, but I am not doing this scientifically as of yet. The DIC says it is better, but I am not trusting this. Just letting the trans learn and having fun. Let me know what you discover with the fuel milage. I plan on recording milage soon also.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
JMO but I would wait till you are confident you have a good truck(warantte concerns) and then make sure the rear end and all that is broke in before you hammer it. I wouldnt worry about the motor and turning up the wick. Diesels like to be worked durring break in IMO.

I have 3 k and am just waiting till there is a product that I want to put on my truck. Bullydog aint going on at this point in time nor will a PPE product ever. I will probably either run Edge or VA or a predator or a TTS depending how they come out and how they seem to rate at first. Still undecided if I want to go a harness or a programer type box. Depends on what comes out......I'm waiting a bit.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You can't trust the DIC. Programmers add fuel "under the table" and the ECM is not "aware" of it. Higher power levels will always indicate higher average mileage on the DIC. You MUST hand-calculate when running a programmer.

Stock, when I would fuel up, I would not be able to get as much fuel in the tank as the DIC said I used... typically 1/2 gallon off. Now, I can get 1 to 1.5 gallons MORE into the tank than the DIC indicates. DIC will be 1-3mpg higher than calculated.

You can't trust the DIC stock, and a programmer completely invalidates it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I know of a truck that had 17 miles showing when the exhaust manifold was drilled for the Edge probe! 50k+ showing today and still running like a sum***** :eek:

·
Registered
693 Posts
well an edge probe aint gonna hurt nothin):h

·
Registered
214 Posts
With my old truck (lly). I put the exhaust, filter and edge w/ attitude on at around 800 miles (too impatient to wait) and once you put it on its hard not to use it every time you get in the truck. I got rid of it with with 20,000 miles on it with no problems.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I waited about 8-10,000 miles. Mainly because no one made a tuner for the LLY at that point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i am also waiting for one of the more reputable programmers to come out, i've just heard so much bad stuff about bully dog. i'm also waiting so that i can do a trans upgrade at the same time so that i don't take any chances on ruining the tranny, i know that the allison can take. i've worked on the m1a1 trans., and trust me, those trannys are real beefy. i just like to be on the safe side, plus, i have a very heavy foot:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
installed the b-d at 600km. on the 06 LBZ. REMOVED THE SPEED LIMITER, AND ADJUSTED TIRE SIZE TO 31.75 TO MATCH THE LT 265'S. STILL OUT BY 3-5%. ANY ONE DIAL THE NUMBERS UP TO GET THE SPEED ACCURATE? I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN GETTING THE RIGHT NUMBERS WITH OUT DOING THE R&D . RAN TOW/ECONOMY IN MINUS 20 C. RAN HARD. UPTO 150K/HR. CAME OUT WITH 15 IMP/MPG. ON 200 MILE TRIP LAST NIGHT. THE PERFORMANCE IS CLOSE TO OR EVEN BETTER THAN MY 03 LB7. LOVE THE NEW TRUCK. DIESELS THAT FLY.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Ya. When I Programmed For 33" With My 285/75-16's I Was Still About 3% Off So I Went All The Way To 34". I'm Probably 1mph Fast At 60 Now, So 33.75 Would Probably Be Dead-on For The Bfg 285, But The 285 Is Supposed To Be A 32.8" Tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts