Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2013 at the dealership waiting to have a new DEF heater installed under the extended DEF system warranty. I appears it may also need a NOx sensor that is not warrantied. While talking to the service manager I aked him how many of these trucks make it to 150,000 miles without DEF system issues. He replied "Very few". He also told me these repairs to mine were most likely just bandaids and would pop up again in the next few years. I knew that the systems were somewhat problematic, but he made it sound like it was inevitable. Just curious how many make it to 150,000 without issues. Mine has 68,000 miles in it. He told me the DEF heater was also replaced at 30,000 by the original owner.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax LTZ
715 Posts
2015 LML - Hosed at 80K

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2015 got a new DEF Heater at 30,000 miles and then spent a month at the dealer and cost me $1,800 for a "Low Quality DEF" condition at under 46,000 miles. I think they replaced everything aft of the manifold by the time they figured it out, including a new tailpipe! That truck was made for towing my 16,000 lb 5th Wheel, but around town grocery getter will kill it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine is a 2015. The dealer has replaced the entire DEF tank due to heater failure, the DPF and then the 9th injector. They did it under emissions warranty. This all happened at different times between 70,000mi and 90,000mi.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My truck is not deleted and it is my daily driver. I only tow my camper a few times a year. I've only had 2 def issues since new. One @118,000 miles. DEF temp sensor out of range. Dealer replaced DEF tank assy under warranty. Then at about 140,000 I had to recalibrate the DEF level sensors which I did myself with my Autel diagnostic tablet. I've never had a DEF quality poor issue. I don't use DEF fluid from truck stops or at the fuel pumps. I only use Peak Blue DEF fluid in the 2.5 gal containers since new and never had a quality issue. I also live in a warm climate so my DEF system never see's freezing temps which I think can cause a lot of issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have my 2013 at the dealership waiting to have a new DEF heater installed under the extended DEF system warranty. I appears it may also need a NOx sensor that is not warrantied. While talking to the service manager I aked him how many of these trucks make it to 150,000 miles without DEF system issues. He replied "Very few". He also told me these repairs to mine were most likely just bandaids and would pop up again in the next few years. I knew that the systems were somewhat problematic, but he made it sound like it was inevitable. Just curious how many make it to 150,000 without issues. Mine has 68,000 miles in it. He told me the DEF heater was also replaced at 30,000 by the original owner.
2015 3500HD SRW. Deleted at 68000 when I started getting DIC warnings about the DEF heater. The cost of that replacement and one other DIC would have been $2500. So a bunch of stuff accidentally fell off and got replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Three problems and one near miss with less than 90,000 miles of generally easy use on a 2013 GMC 3500. First problem started with a poor quality DEF error. That one was fixed after three weeks at the dealership where the truck was purchased, and required a new ECM among other items to get the error to reset. A few months later a DEF contamination error popped, and that one required another three weeks and almost $5,000 to fix, including sections of exhaust pipes. In between those two events, the DEF tank was replaced under warranty. Then the DEF heater sensor error popped, and the sensor was replaced (not under warranty). Recently a P2200 error popped, but went away enroute to a nearby repair shop. Don't know if Ford and Ram are having similar problems, but if the truck wasn't paid for, I'd be looking for a gasser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Florida Chevy 2016 3500Hd LML spent this past winter in Maine didn’t like the cold and now my DEF constantly reads 184 miles of DEF remaining although it is topped off. Chevy Dealership In Maine pull me to the side and said sell it or delete it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2015 DEF heater and pump went out at around 125k. I replaced both myself at home, its fairly straight forward. I only had to take it to the dealer to clear the codes. Its a hard code so they have to do their diagnostics and tests and they also did a regen. Only had to spend I think it was less than $200 at the dealer thankfully. Parts are around 125 for the heater and under 200 for the pump on amazon. I just hope I don't have any further issues for at least another 120k.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My Florida Chevy 2016 3500Hd LML spent this past winter in Maine didn’t like the cold and now my DEF constantly reads 184 miles of DEF remaining although it is topped off. Chevy Dealership In Maine pull me to the side and said sell it or delete it.
That happened to me also. There are 3 DEF level sensors in the tank that need to be recalibrated. I topped off my DEF and stopped off at a local Diesel repair shop. He came out, plugged in his diagnostic tablet. Did the re-calibration and done. Took less that 10 mins. I would have had to make an appointment at the dealer and probably charged me $200.00. I decided to invest money in a professional diagnostic tablet. This way I can do my own troubleshooting, repairs and resets.
Here's a good video on how to re-calibrate the DEF level sensors.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
My truck is not deleted and it is my daily driver. I only tow my camper a few times a year. I've only had 2 def issues since new. One @118,000 miles. DEF temp sensor out of range. Dealer replaced DEF tank assy under warranty. Then at about 140,000 I had to recalibrate the DEF level sensors which I did myself with my Autel diagnostic tablet. I've never had a DEF quality poor issue. I don't use DEF fluid from truck stops or at the fuel pumps. I only use Peak Blue DEF fluid in the 2.5 gal containers since new and never had a quality issue. I also live in a warm climate so my DEF system never see's freezing temps which I think can cause a lot of issues.
My experience suggests that freezing temps aren't issue you think it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the truck new in 2016, it only has just turned 50 thousand and I only tow my camper twice a year and only use Peak DEF and Napa brand.
To add to my previous reply, I drive the truck several times a week so it’s not sitting. The original code while in Maine was P20E9 Reductant pressure high. The dealership guy looked at me like I was toast and said he wouldn’t be able to get parts for weeks. I was able to clear the code but the indicator reads 184 miles of def while topped off. It’s operating normally, I just don’t know my DEF level now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
To add to my previous reply, I drive the truck several times a week so it’s not sitting. The original code while in Maine was P20E9 Reductant pressure high. The dealership guy looked at me like I was toast and said he wouldn’t be able to get parts for weeks. I was able to clear the code but the indicator reads 184 miles of def while topped off. It’s operating normally, I just don’t know my DEF level now.
See my previous post with the video. The level sensors have to be reset..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thank you for the info on the level sensors. What diagnostic tablet did you use to reset the sensors?
At the time this happened to me, a little over a year ago, I didn't have a diagnostic table. I searched YouTube and found the video I posted. That's how I learned about resetting the level sensors and that GM issued a service bulletin about the issue. I didn't want to make an appointment and waste the day at the dealer. Plus pay who knows how much for them to plug in and reset it. So, I found a local diesel shop by my house. I went in explained the issue that my DEF sensors just need to be reset. He came right out with his tablet, plugged in and reset them. It took him 10 mins. and he only charge me $20.00. He used an Autel Diagnostic tablet.
Since I bought this truck new, it is my daily driver and plan on keeping it for a long time (10 years already) or until the gov purposely make diesel and DEF too expensive that we can't drive them anymore.
Well, anyway with all the sensors, computers, control modules and actuators on these trucks I decided to invest the money in a professional level diagnostic tablet. I didn't want to have to run to the dealer or find a shop just to read a code.
I did a lot of research and learned that there are a lot of different types and levels of scan tools. Form your basic $30-$50 code readers that only read codes, up to your full blown professional dealer level 3 Diagnostic/programmers. I didn't have any interest or the need to be able to program ECM's or computer modules. I wanted a bi-directional tool to be able to read codes, do resets, run tests, check sensors & modules, activate systems & move actuators. Basically everything short of programing.
So a little over a year ago I purchased the Autel MaxiSys MS906TS. It is a Level II bi-directional diagnostic tablet capable of doing everything I wanted. It can also do some basic module/sensor programing. It is also a full function TPMS tool. Now don't be shocked. Like I said this is professional level II repair shop tool which mean it comes with a professional level price tag. It cost me $1500.00. To me it was worth it. Plus having it with me when I am traveling on the road pulling my RV gives me some peace of mind if my truck throws a code or goes into limp mode for some reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At the time this happened to me, a little over a year ago, I didn't have a diagnostic table. I searched YouTube and found the video I posted. That's how I learned about resetting the level sensors and that GM issued a service bulletin about the issue. I didn't want to make an appointment and waste the day at the dealer. Plus pay who knows how much for them to plug in and reset it. So, I found a local diesel shop by my house. I went in explained the issue that my DEF sensors just need to be reset. He came right out with his tablet, plugged in and reset them. It took him 10 mins. and he only charge me $20.00. He used an Autel Diagnostic tablet.
Since I bought this truck new, it is my daily driver and plan on keeping it for a long time (10 years already) or until the gov purposely make diesel and DEF too expensive that we can't drive them anymore.
Well, anyway with all the sensors, computers, control modules and actuators on these trucks I decided to invest the money in a professional level diagnostic tablet. I didn't want to have to run to the dealer or find a shop just to read a code.
I did a lot of research and learned that there are a lot of different types and levels of scan tools. Form your basic $30-$50 code readers that only read codes, up to your full blown professional dealer level 3 Diagnostic/programmers. I didn't have any interest or the need to be able to program ECM's or computer modules. I wanted a bi-directional tool to be able to read codes, do resets, run tests, check sensors & modules, activate systems & move actuators. Basically everything short of programing.
So a little over a year ago I purchased the Autel MaxiSys MS906TS. It is a Level II bi-directional diagnostic tablet capable of doing everything I wanted. It can also do some basic module/sensor programing. It is also a full function TPMS tool. Now don't be shocked. Like I said this is professional level II repair shop tool which mean it comes with a professional level price tag. It cost me $1500.00. To me it was worth it. Plus having it with me when I am traveling on the road pulling my RV gives me some peace of mind if my truck throws a code or goes into limp mode for some reaI’m surprised my EZ
Thank you for the information. I’m keeping the truck until the wheels fall off. My truck is a 2016.5, the last of the LML series and I’ve added the fuel system saver just in case. Every tank has Diesel Kleen added. I’m going to consider the TPMS you mentioned. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts