Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us have been through the great injector delema?
I'll start I guess. 02 GMC 60,000 miles and as of right now I don't know which ones are bad. should get it back wendsday.

Tell us your milage and which ones failed and how many times. I think we all want to know.
Scott Edited by: Texas Red Wagon

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I cant remember everyone of them, but here are a few in recent memory

2003 9000 miles 4 injectors
2001 75000 miles 8 injectors
2001 60k 2
2001 45k three visits, total of 6
2001 23K 2
2001 225k 8
2001 140K 5 already had the other 3 ata different dealer

i know there are more, those are just the ones i remembers specifics on

·
Registered
53 Posts
2001 75,000 miles 1

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
'04 884 miles 2 injectors (#'s 4 and 5) and one return line.

·
Registered
490 Posts
9 out of 350,000 isn't bad. Not worth worrying over. Yeah, I know there is more than 9, but I bet if you look at the big picture, the numbers are not all that great.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Pick said:
9 out of 350,000 isn't bad. Not worth worrying over. Yeah, I know there is more than 9, but I bet if you look at the big picture, the numbers are not all that great.
I have to agree, my injector jobs come from a 500 or so mile radius from the dealer so I may tend to do a bit more then most dealers, but overall, problem is , I think, smaller then suspected

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
WELL LETS see how small. In two days we got 5 trucks with problems.....and the subject title doesn't even have "injectors" in it!

I would change "how many" to "injector problems" ( better for search IMHO).

ANYWAYS

2001 GMC 3500 CREW CAB DURAMAX 75000miles 3 return lines then back for 6 injectors, now back for more trouble shooting. Total time without work truck 3 weeks...Do you want to know $$$ lost?

2003 GMC 3500 REG CAB Duramax 15000miles 3 fuel filter changes so far!

If you really wanna see alot of articles...go to GOOGLE and type in GM Duramax injector problems or something like that.

LOYAL GM CUSTOMER SINCE 1984 Edited by: Gradyghost

·
Registered
909 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
9k miles 4 injectors

23K 2
45k three visits, total of 6
60k 2

75k miles 8 injectors

140K 8

225k 8

We need more data but so far it's a frightening trend, directly proportional to truck mileage. Trucks with higher miles need more injectors replaced. With this data, all 8 injectors fail at anything over 75k miles. Could this be more than GM policy to replace all injectors when mileage creeps over 75k? Otherwise this data looks like a test beyond a component's expected life.

Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Title changed, should of stated it that way the first time i guess.
Scott

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
62,000 miles 0

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Ray403Dmax said:
We need more data but so far it's a frightening trend, directly proportional to truck mileage. Trucks with higher miles need more injectors replaced. With this data, all 8 injectors fail at anything over 75k miles. Could this be more than GM policy to replace all injectors when mileage creeps over 75k? Otherwise this data looks like a test beyond a component's expected life.
You would have to compare that data with the trucks that haven't had problems at similar mileage.

The ultimate key here for the future is cost and frequency. All complicated mechanical machines have their short term and long term durability components. It looks as though in modern diesels it is the injector that is the short term component.

There was talk about lowering injector costs. If you look at the premium we pay just to get the engine initially then the projected cost..... GM better be careful cause they aren't the only bean counters in this world.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Cowboy2970,

You have had almost 3 full sets of injectors replaced?
That just totally blows my mind. How could you not have a new truck at this point?

No one denies the problems but that just seems insane.

·
Registered
909 Posts
hoot said:
You would have to compare that data with the trucks that haven't had problems at similar mileage.

To me, that would be a statistic of overall reliability.

It would be good to hear from a quality/reliability engineer, but I'd bet as the name implies, failure analysis is performed only on failure data. And for a company to stay in business, component failures need to be low probability and random occurance over the component's lifespan (aka warranty period). This data may be low probability with a mileage dependence well within the expected injector lifespan. Of course, we would expect strong mileage dependence beyond the warranty period, but not during.

Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
909 Posts
cowboy,

Sorry to hear that. You may be GM's injector failure poster boy.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
cowboy2970 said:
2003 3500 dullie 20+ injectors, 2 pumps , two modules and 2 encoder motors on 4x4 ----88,000 miles and having problems again ???
You bess fine yoself anotha dealer caus da one workin on yo truck is prolly breakin more then he fixin

Edited by: hoot

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I searched the www and found quite a few people who are putting together lawsuits against GM. I did give them this web site address. Can you say class action?

·
Registered
391 Posts
3,875 miles no injectors................STOP IT NOW I AM PARANOID, INSTEAD OF ENJOYING MY TRUCK I AM MORE WORRIED WHEN THE (injector)"BOMB" WILL DROP

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Bronco said:
I searched the www and found quite a few people who are putting together lawsuits against GM. I did give them this web site address. Can you say class action?
Be careful cause there are lawsuits with regards to some gas engine injectors.... no comparison there.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts