Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the trans oil level my new-to-me Suburban and there was nothing on the dipstick. I forgot to look at the oil before I bought it :damnit1: my only excuse is that I've been driving a manual trans for so long it didn't occur to me. The previous owner told me he replaced the filter and oil and the test drive was flawless, and the ride home was fine too. No problems shifting at all.

So, I put in two quarts of trans oil and still nothing on the dipstick. No leaks except for a little out of the filler neck, which is loose. How low can this trans be and still run OK?

I guess I have proven that the answer is at least 2 quarts! :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
the converter may not be completely full and you may need to add more. after a filter and fluid change I know it can take four to eight quarts to fill depending the conveter keeps fluid in it unless it gets flushed or driven with low fluid, it probably need to keep getting filled. Areyou checking it hot or cold in park or neutral. my idea is take and fill her up one quart at a time, drive the truck come back and check and keep going until it shows on the dipstick.

also check to see if dipstick is all the way down and tight that could be the main problem

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked it hot, or maybe just warm in these cold temperatures, after runnin about 20 minutes. I checked it in park and drove around the block between quarts.

The dipstick was hung up a bit where the bends are causing it to bind, but I bent them out slightly so the stick goes in correctly now. I put the stick all the way in the tube where the handle stops on the top of the tube.

Guess I'm going out again to buy some ATF. :eek::

·
Registered
167 Posts
sounds like it

under neath the truck where the dipstick is in the tranny is that tight?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No

The tube is not tight at all, it spins and rocks a bit in place. It is leaking a little when filling, not that I can actually see the leak, but with the loose tube I think it is obvious where the leak is from.

From my experience, there should be an o-ring or a square ring seal where the tube fits into the tranny, but even if the seal is gone the oil should not be leaking out unless it is overfilled, which definitely seems not to be the case here.

Or am I dead wrong about that assumption? :confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confused even more now :confused:

:confused: I went to the dealer to get the tube seal and it's not an o-ring as I thought; it's a short serrated rubber tube with a lip on top. Looks like it fits into the tranny and the metal tube fits into it. That I understand.

The problem is that I've reached a point where no more trans oil will go in, it just leaks on the ground --BUT-- the dipstick still shows nothing.

I thought the dipstick is supposed to go down into the body of the transmission to measure the level. If there is normally trans fluid in the tube then that would explain it.

Am I right about the fluid in the tube? :help: I am really concerned that I have overfilled it. Please tell me I haven't.

·
Registered
167 Posts
NO sounds like she is overfilled is it the correct dipstick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts