Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2500HD LT 4x4 CrewCab LWB on 11-24 and would guess the dealer placed it on 11-25 or 11-26. I talked to the dealer early last week to check progress and to find out if I’m getting the LLY engine. The dealer didn’t have much information other than I’m getting the LLY. So I called him yesterday (12-12), he had an order number but mentioned that Chevrolet still has not picked up the order yet.

So my questions are: How does the order process all work and what does "Pick up the Order" mean? Will the holidays play in to this process too?

The waiting is killing me

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It depends on color and how many are in front of you.

I ordered my 2500HD CC/LB LT in Sport Red on 9/30/03 and did not get a TPW, (Targeted Production Week) number until the week of Thanksgiving. The Flint plant makes all Crew Cabs. I just got mine built on 12/12/03. Due to my dealer's locale to I-75, I am expecting the truck to be shipped to the dealer next week. I hope

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Okay here's the word I got from my dealer when talking about the process.

They refer to the various stages by number, I think that's a computer line code.

1. 1101 The dealer gets on his computer and orders the truck, if it meets the criteria for what's available he gets an order number before signing off.

2. 1100 The order is pre-accepted.

3. 2000 The order is accepted by GM.

4. 2500 The order is preferenced, in my case both the change to 2000 and 2500 happened on the same day.

5. 3000 The order is accepted by production control and issued a TPW, in my case that took two weeks to the day. Order changes can still be made at this point but it will delay the TPW, this is where my truck is now and it was ordered by the dealer 11-17-03. The initial TPW I got was for 1-12-04, but it was kicked back to 1-19-04 a week after it was first issued.

6. 3100 The order is committed to production, end of change window.

7. 3200 He couldn't remember what that means and mine hasn't gotten there yet.

8. 3300 The truck will build that week.

There may be other codes that one of the dealers could fill us in on, but that's what I was able to come up with in talking to the dealer just now. Your question prompted me to call him since he's been talking about these numbers and stages of the order process all along, but I never paid a lot of attention to it.

Hope it helps.

edit info: I forgot your other question and you'll love the answer... GM shuts down between Christmas and New Year's.... My dealer wasn't sure exactly how many days it would be either, it could start before Christmas or end after New Year's sometime.....Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info and congrats on your soon to be babies. You guys must be going nuts by now.

I guess I will just have to wait and see. I was hoping to see my new truck in mid to late January but that's not looking to good. Maybe it's a good thing.
Isn't there a saying; "Good things come to those who wait" or something like that?

I think the waiting would be easier knowing a due date or something. Now I'm thinking I should just add the DVD player to the order.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Voodoo said:
I think the waiting would be easier knowing a due date or something. Now I'm thinking I should just add the DVD player to the order.

You only get to order new trucks once in awhile, if you want the DVD entertainment set up I'd say go for it. You might ask the dealer if it will delay things, but from what I've learned it doesn't seem likely.

One question you might ask your dealer, and hopefully he'd be honest enough to answer it, is whether or not this might be an allocation problem? The whole dealer zone he's in, as well as each individual dealer gets an allocation of vehicles during the year. If he's not got a slot to order a truck, the zone rep can pull one from somewhere else on a sold order, but that means some dealer will lose a unit. Sold orders have to have the customer's name, address, phone number and so forth, and are supposed to have production priority.

Might be worth asking the question.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zeeb said:
You only get to order new trucks once in awhile, if you want the DVD entertainment set up I'd say go for it. You might ask the dealer if it will delay things, but from what I've learned it doesn't seem likely.

One question you might ask your dealer, and hopefully he'd be honest enough to answer it, is whether or not this might be an allocation problem? The whole dealer zone he's in, as well as each individual dealer gets an allocation of vehicles during the year. If he's not got a slot to order a truck, the zone rep can pull one from somewhere else on a sold order, but that means some dealer will lose a unit. Sold orders have to have the customer's name, address, phone number and so forth, and are supposed to have production priority.

Might be worth asking the question.

How does the allocation work? Does it go by model year or some other setup. If it goes by model year, it seems like I would be ok since it's a 2004 and the new model year has only been out for the last few months.

I'm still thinking about the DVD thing in between me trying to decide on what size suspension lift, wheels, and tires I'm going to get.

Thanks for the info I'll call my dealer this week to find out more.

Edited by: Voodoo

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just ordered my truck this last Friday. I was told that it should arrive by late Feb. or early March. I debated greatly on the DVD. We choose against the factory for several reasons. The kids have a playstation and the a/v cord would of hung from the ceiling when connected to the DVD player. The screen itself could block some of yor rearview sight. The screen is small compared to like models. We decided to go with the headrest dual screen set-up from Best Buy. The cost will be about $2400 with the 4 year warrnaty. It will allow the game to be played or a movie to be played on both screens or separate per each headrest. The player will be mounted under the front seat, out of the way. No cords hanging down or visual blocking. It will also be directly hooked into the stereo system of the truck so that you can control the volume and run sound through the speakers. Way too much money, but this an expense we think will be worth it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sonny Bear,

Thanks for the info, I was thinking the same as you about the audio and video cables hanging down on the DVD player. I would have ordered it if the jacks were in the center console or something lower.

As far as my order, I'm going to try and find out more today. My dealer said about 8 weeks but now it seems it may be longer. I just hope it is not a allocation problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just discovered this site on the weekend, very interesting. I ordered a G.M.C, CC Duramax, Summit White on Oct 31 03.in Canada, My build date was 12 08 03. Checked with dealer this a.m. and was told truck was shipped on 12 13 03. I now have Vin.# Not sure if I will be getting new engine.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Congrats, you're getting MUCH closer....

Check the eighth digit of the VIN, 1=LB7, 2=LLY. Since they didn't start building LLY's until the 8th of Dec. it's most likely an LB7, but nothing wrong with that, it's a known quantity.

We'll have to wait and see if the LLY turns out to be a blessing or a curse. Hopefully, since my truck is coming LLY, it'll be a blessing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank's Zeeb

Looks like mine will be an LB7 as I have a 1 in the VIN eighth digit. Somewhat dissapointed as it would be neat to have something new. I did not even know about the LLY until this past weekend when I discovered this site. However as I am a retired G.M worker I usually change my trucks every year. This is going to be my fourth Duramax. I really liked each one and have never had any problems but have never reached 20,000 km. either. I have several friends and acquaintances who own a Duramax and have never heard even a small complaint. We do not build this truck in Canada so mine will be coming from Flint. as I understand.

We had been getting a great deal up here in Canada when the Cdn.$ was around $.65 as my dealer could send my trade to the U.S. for U.S.$. Now with our $ at around $.76 we don't do very well anymore, maybe will have to keep this one for awhile.

We will just be getting it in time as we need to put a few Km. on it before we head south in mid Jan., Hopefully as far as Arizona.

Good luck with your new truck.

B.J.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Dave thanks for the info, I had one like yours on order now all I need to do is watch for the truck and grab yours instead

BTW have u looked under the front seats on an LT ?

I don't know if there is enough room w/ all the power stuff under there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guy,s

She's at the dealer, will be picking it up tomorrow morning. Will bring her home and install the fifth wheel hitch and some more goodies.

B.J.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats B.J.!

It will be a long night. Why not pick it up today?

Man I can't wait until my baby is here. My 88 Toyota 4x4 is getting tired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank's Voodoo

Ya, we could have picked it up today but our dealer is about 60 miles from where we live so hope to con someone into coming there with us and bring our car back so both the co-pilot and I can come home in the new wheels. How about you dropping up and driving us to the dealer eh. Ya we are Canadian eh.
Ya, you can drive it.

I have had many new trucks over the years and still get excited so can,t imagine what it would be like for you going from an 88. Had three Duramax E.C.'s already, all green and loved them. This one is a little more exciting as it is first C.C. and is white. You are going for the L.T. awsome. Would love the memory seat.

Will be heading south about mid Jan. with the Montana for some warmth from the sun and the American people.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

B.J. and the Co-Pilot

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Dmax Tim;

Mine just arrived at the dealer this morning. The parts guy and the salesman fought over who was going to call me first. They both ended up getting called about the same time.

I called the parts guy first because he wanted to verify my toy order. The baby is off to the body shop for a Line-X coat for the bed. Then it's back to the shop for flaps, step bars, bed cover, and prep.

I should be able to pick it up Saturday or Monday.

I asked my salesman how the truck looked. And he said, "That is on BIG bad looking truck!"

Where are you at in North Central Ohio?

I'm in Fremont, Getting the truck in Findlay.

Congrats on the new edition B.J.

VooDoo hang in there, it's worth the wait. It's great to have a truck that other truck owners are envious of.
Edited by: DavesDmax

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
DavesDmax,

You mentioned color had something to do with how long it takes, how so? I ordered mine in black, everything else same as yours, on 10/27, dealer said GM accepted on 11/18 or 11/19, but couldn't tell me my TPW as of 12/12. I'm jealous! Ha Ha, seriously though, congratulations! One awesome truck! Also, did you get the LB7 or LLY, I know that I did get converted to LLY.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
baimpala said:
DavesDmax,

You mentioned color had something to do with how long it takes, how so? I ordered mine in black, everything else same as yours, on 10/27, dealer said GM accepted on 11/18 or 11/19, but couldn't tell me my TPW as of 12/12. I'm jealous! Ha Ha, seriously though, congratulations! One awesome truck! Also, did you get the LB7 or LLY, I know that I did get converted to LLY.

Now I don't feel so bad, I still don't have a TPW as of 12-16. The dealer gave me the choice of a LB7 or LLY. I said LLY!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I ordered on 11-18 a GMC and a Chevy, the dealer called last nite and said the GMC would be in soon.

I called today and found out the Chevy is coming in, built on 12-11 and it has the LB7.

3 weeks from order to build is fast.

GMC hasn't gotten me a TPW yet.

I work at the Mansfield GM plant (we make the doors for most GM vehicles).

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Dave are u getting a good price or do u need a supplier card?

4% over GMS.

Let me now and I'll get it in the mail.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts