Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a '93 the other day with an interior that was the same as my dad's '99 (dash, seats, wheel, everything). I have the chance to pick up a '94 for a song and am thinking about updating the interior (it needs front seats anyway).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Not worth the hassle in my opinion. I have a 90 and thought about it, but chose not to. I tried to update the instrument panel to one from a 94 thinking it would be plug and play, but it wasn't. So many different changes to get everything to work. You would most likely need a wiring schematic for everything and probably have to hack into quite a few harnesses to make sure the right wires go to the right place. You don't want your oil pressure signal going to the speedometer.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Seats, console and stuff like that are an easy swap. Dash.... well, it can be done, but it is a bit complicated. The dash swap itself is easy, but the wiring is a different story. If you can get everything (dash, wiring harness, bracket, steering column, etc.) then you have a better chance at getting it right. It's not impossible, but not easy either.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you think parts would run? 1G? 2Gs? Not to mention my time. this is for a '94 3500 srw 6.5 4x4 with 120k, that i can pick up for around $1500 in good running shape. needs a transmission rebuild/replacement, needs paint and minor body work, and could use an updated interior. I was gonna get a 2001/2002 dually but I don't think I can pass this deal up. So at $1500, a grand or two on an interior update isn't too bad of a deal, eh?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
You can pick up a trans (or rebuild) for around $1500, so as long as the rest of the drivtrain is in good shape it looks like your ahead of the game. See when the injector pump was last replaced, so you know if that will be in your future. I don't know where you are located, but down here replacement interior parts are plentyfull at flea markets and trade shows. Your most complicated thing will be the dash, all else (seats/console) should be a breeze.

·
Banned
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can pick up a trans (or rebuild) for around $1500, so as long as the rest of the drivtrain is in good shape it looks like your ahead of the game. See when the injector pump was last replaced, so you know if that will be in your future. I don't know where you are located, but down here replacement interior parts are plentyfull at flea markets and trade shows. Your most complicated thing will be the dash, all else (seats/console) should be a breeze.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking (though a few guys told me to get a TH475....not sure I want to give up park and gear #4 for a granny low....). Seemed to drive fine. It is gonna need the drivers side CV axle as it is missing. From the looks of the truck, the boot probably went south and ruint the axle and the owner just yanked it.

*sigh*

I would LOVE to update this interior to "last-gen". Seats are a breeze I know. I really like the dash and wheel (and door panels) of the '95-'99 Chevys over the previous style. I'm probably gonna drop a 2001/2002 seat in as they are the most comfortable truck seat I've ever sat on.

I'm also weighing in other options such as a Cummins/Allison powertrain....(big $$$ though)

·
Registered
840 Posts
The dash is going to be complicated. I was looking for a deal like that for a while but nothing surfaced. :mad:

This was my plan:
Clean up the interior with buckets and a center console.
Do a dash trim kit, and a reverse glow gauge face.
Re-do the front clip with a Stylin' Concepts Escalade front end kit including the hood upgrade and billet grill.
Wheels and tires and maybe a lift.

If I ever run accross that deal, I'll probably still do it.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Door panels should work easy maybe some small modifying there, the '01-'02 seats may need some seatframe tweeking to make them work. I've never tried to fit new body to old body seats before. Cummings/Allison sounds cool but may be $$$$$$. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts