Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far do I have after the low fuel light goes on until I run out of fuel???:)

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Some have died right after the light has come on. IIRC you have a 34 gal tank next time you hit E fill it all the way up. And then you will have a good idea how far you can go after you hit E. Then run it down past E until the light comes on or you think your going to run out of fuel.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Do a search. This has been covered a few times before. It verys about as much as the MPGs on these trucks do. The best way to find out would be to test it. Be sure you have spare diesel and a screwdriver with you before you run the test.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Hard to say until you run out.Even then,my truck has run out once without the low fuel light ever coming on and the gauge still showing about 1/8 tank...:eek:

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I would have been highly pissed.
More than you could imagine.11:00 at night,8*,couldn't get it to prime.Yeah you could say that!CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored Censored

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Whenever its that cold, i try and make sure my tank is above half. I do get worried sometimes. Like I said, I would have been furious....I cant imagine that happening to me.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I finally had to pressurize the system.(not trying to steal the thread,useful info)Pain in the butt..

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My light came on last Friday on my way to fuel up. The truck took a little over 29 gallons and they fuel gauge was on E. I guess that means I should have had around 6 gallons left.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Do a search. This has been covered a few times before. It verys about as much as the MPGs on these trucks do. The best way to find out would be to test it. Be sure you have spare diesel and a screwdriver with you before you run the test.
:exactly:

Of course it varies. When the light comes on and you are on cruise control at 65mph on flat ground you can go way farther than towing your trailer in stop and go traffic. MPG matters most when you have only a gallon or two.

I have only run the truck empty once, this was while towing, and I would guess it went 25-30 miles after the low warning, some of that was floored finishing up testing on the overheating. It might have gone 40-50 if I were running empty.

After the priming experience and having to walk TWICE to get enough diesel to get it to start again, we fill it now when it gets about 1/4th tank.

·
Registered
220 Posts
How much does the tank hold, mine holds.......................26 gallons

How much to fill-up take after light comes on., mine is......22 gallons

Fuel remaining in my tank prior to refueling........................4 gallons

The big question is, where is the fuel pickup located within MY or YOUR tank, can the last of the fuel, be drawn into the pickup when its down to the last 4, 3, 2 or 1 gallon of fuel remaining?

Like stated above, I guess you have to run the thing until it sucks some air.

Then you would have to know how many gallons it takes to fill it up again. Or log the miles driven after the light came on.

I have driven mine further and further after the light comes on, I guess I am starting to trust it. Last time it took 23 gallons to fill it, that means I had three gallons.

Flurting with Flame-Out...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have the long bed, and I can only get about 29 gals in when the light comes on. A few weeks ago, I put 33.2 gal in! ( I had two 5 gal jugs of bio with me in case it ran out)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've gotten 30 miles out of mine when the light came on and filled it with 43 gallons. (I have a Transfew Flow 45 gallon tank that uses the stock fuel pick up). As someone already suggested, best thing would be test it with your truck, carrying some fuel in a can in case you over guesstimate and push it too far. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
When you guys are seeing the light come on what does the DIC say is the range left?
I've got a different car with the range remaining and it is dead on. One time it was counting down the distance remaining and had just flashed from 9.9 MTG (miles to go) to a --- when we pulled into a station and took 16.4 gallons in a 17 gallon tank. The other day on this same car the low fuel light came on with 60 MTG in range. 45 miles later I filled up with 15.8 gallons and 24 MTG. Pucker Factor was pretty high since I was in the middle of no-where and walking would have really sucked.

Haven't pushed the Diesel that far yet

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all! I guess I will try and make it to the nearest fuel station, as the light went on about 10 miles ago......:)

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Did ya make it?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i think it all depends on your truck

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Depends on the truck...

I have about 65 miles once mine comes on!

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
All the way to the cough, cough, chug, chug, OH SH!T.):h

1 - 19 of 19 Posts