Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the community, I've been reading the FAQ and guides you have for newbies for the past few days. What are your opinions on the pictures and video below, how does the engine sound to you?

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Tell us more about your truck ( Year, Make, and Model) and list any known mods.
The engine sounds fine. Are you experiencing any issues?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It's not mine just yet, it should be by tomorrow morning. Its a 95 Chevy Z71 6.5 Turbo Diesel. I wanted to post this video to see if any of the knowledgable members might hear or see an issue.

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
Here are some things to help you when considering a 6.5L purchase:

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,754 Posts
Gotta wonder where that hose on the CDR is going ?
That hose should be going to the inlet on the turbo.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gotta wonder where that hose on the CDR is going ?
That hose should be going to the inlet on the turbo.
Good catch, looks like they are venting it low, in the airstream like the old draft tubes. I would be somewhat annoyed to look down the hole on the intake and find the small hole to be open. This sucks in air AFTER the filter. Not really the way to care for a motor. So yes, this will help keep oily blowby from being sent back through but your motor will not mind unless there is a problem.... why was this done? Excessive blowby? Look hard at that.

I have read one way to test was to remove oil filler cap and place it upside down on tube to see if it is pushed off. Obviously you would need to pinch off the cdr tube. Some is ok, tons is not.

Other than that the motor sounds fine

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
Good catch, looks like they are venting it low, in the airstream like the old draft tubes. I would be somewhat annoyed to look down the hole on the intake and find the small hole to be open. This sucks in air AFTER the filter. Not really the way to care for a motor. So yes, this will help keep oily blowby from being sent back through but your motor will not mind unless there is a problem.... why was this done? Excessive blowby? Look hard at that.

I have read one way to test was to remove oil filler cap and place it upside down on tube to see if it is pushed off. Obviously you would need to pinch off the cdr tube. Some is ok, tons is not.

Other than that the motor sounds fine
The CDR when connected in the original factory condition, uses the negative vacuum produced by the turbo to help keep the crankcase seals intact.
Many think that the CDR is just an emissions device and alter it to allow it to vent to the ground.
When left in this condition, it will allow combustion pressures to damage the crankcase seals and you will see excess oil leaks, blowby, etc..

Reactions: cruzer747

·
Registered
208 Posts
I knew I was forgetting a good size detail about the bad side of running without that hooked up, thanks for adding that!

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 8 of 8 Posts