Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the key tumbler come out so that I can remove the top plastic part of the steering column?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You gotta remove the steering wheel, then the turn signal switch and then there is one screw for the tumbler. remove the screw and the tumbler comes right out.

i just realized yours is a 95, its a bit different.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
teroma25;1593872; said:
You gotta remove the steering wheel, then the turn signal switch and then there is one screw for the tumbler. remove the screw and the tumbler comes right out.
The whole steering wheel??:eek:

Are you sure it's that way for a 95 suburban?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
on my 94 you remove the steering wheel, its really simple. I'm pretty sure the 95 is quite a bit different. I'll check my manual for ya and see.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This is from my CD for the 95 - 98 model.

CAUTION
When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.

When carrying a live inflator module, make sure that the bag and trim cover are pointed away from you. Never carry the inflator module by the wires or connector on the underside of the module. In case of accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury.
When placing a live inflator module on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the SIR system.
  2. Remove the upper and lower shroud, air bag module and the steering column.

Fig. 3: Exploded view of the removal of the SIR coil assembly

1. Remove the retaining ring, SIR coil assembly, wave washer.
  2. Remove the shaft lock retaining ring using tool J 23653-SIR or its equivalent to push down the shaft lock shield assembly. Discard the ring.
  3. Remove the shaft lock shield and turn signal cancel cam assembly.
  4. Remove the park lock cable assembly from the lock module assembly.
  5. Remove the key alarm switch, if equipped by gently prying the alarm switch retaining clip with a small prytool. Rotate the alarm switch 1/4 in. turn and remove.
  6. Remove the two tapping screws and the ignition key and alarm assembly. Let the switch hang freely.
The lock assembly is under slight spring tension. Hold the lock bolt in place while removing the lock module assembly.

1. Remove the three pan head tapping screws and the lock module assembly.
  2. Remove the backing plate from the module.
Mark the two sector gears at the
OFF-LOCK position to ensure proper reassembly
  1. Remove the sector gears.
  2. Remove the positioning tab on the end of the lock cylinder using an 1/8 in. burring tool. Remove all burrs from the lock module and cylinder assembly.
  3. Push on the locking tab of the lock cylinder from inside the lock module assembly and remove the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hey partner, do you need to change the key switch or the ignition switch?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
teroma25;1593900; said:
This is from my CD for the 95 - 98 model.

CAUTION

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)
When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.

When carrying a live inflator module, make sure that the bag and trim cover are pointed away from you. Never carry the inflator module by the wires or connector on the underside of the module. In case of accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury.
When placing a live inflator module on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the SIR system.
  2. Remove the upper and lower shroud, air bag module and the steering column.

[URL="http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d80088132.jpg"]

[/URL]
Fig. 3: Exploded view of the removal of the SIR coil assembly

1. Remove the retaining ring, SIR coil assembly, wave washer.
  2. Remove the shaft lock retaining ring using tool J 23653-SIR or its equivalent to push down the shaft lock shield assembly. Discard the ring.
  3. Remove the shaft lock shield and turn signal cancel cam assembly.
  4. Remove the park lock cable assembly from the lock module assembly.
  5. Remove the key alarm switch, if equipped by gently prying the alarm switch retaining clip with a small prytool. Rotate the alarm switch 1/4 in. turn and remove.
  6. Remove the two tapping screws and the ignition key and alarm assembly. Let the switch hang freely.

CAUTION
The lock assembly is under slight spring tension. Hold the lock bolt in place while removing the lock module assembly.

1. Remove the three pan head tapping screws and the lock module assembly.
  2. Remove the backing plate from the module.
Mark the two sector gears at the
OFF-LOCK position to ensure proper reassembly
  1. Remove the sector gears.
  2. Remove the positioning tab on the end of the lock cylinder using an 1/8 in. burring tool. Remove all burrs from the lock module and cylinder assembly.
  3. Push on the locking tab of the lock cylinder from inside the lock module assembly and remove the lock cylinder.

Geez...this is really turning into a nightmare!!!!!!

Does anyone know if the top plastic piece has to come off along with all this other stuff to replace the ignition switch???

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
If you remove the bottom piece of the steering column there are two inverted hex screws holding the top cover in place. One on each side of the steering shaft. One is easy to see and other is tucked up by the ignition switch. IF you remove them you can lift the top cover up enough to access the cylinder release pin if you know where it is. Then you turn the key to start while pressing down on the pin and it will pull out. If you can't find the release then I think the process is to pop the plastic part off the outside of the tumbler. (The part that you are supposed to turn). I am not sure on the last part because I know where the release is so it's easy.

Your other option would be to damage the top cover if you don't want to risk damaging the cylinder and you can't find the whole. The top cover is not very expensive.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Max Power;1593968; said:
If you remove the bottom piece of the steering column there are two inverted hex screws holding the top cover in place. One on each side of the steering shaft. One is easy to see and other is tucked up by the ignition switch. IF you remove them you can lift the top cover up enough to access the cylinder release pin if you know where it is. Then you turn the key to start while pressing down on the pin and it will pull out. If you can't find the release then I think the process is to pop the plastic part off the outside of the tumbler. (The part that you are supposed to turn). I am not sure on the last part because I know where the release is so it's easy.

Your other option would be to damage the top cover if you don't want to risk damaging the cylinder and you can't find the whole. The top cover is not very expensive.
Thanks alot for the additional info...Where is that release pin!! I think I'd like to give that way a shot since I have the torx screws out and the top is loose.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DavidPhillips;1593924; said:
Hey partner, do you need to change the key switch or the ignition switch?
I need to change the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The ignition switch is mounted down on the column. The key switch is what you are trying to get out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Matt C;1594491; said:
The ignition switch is mounted down on the column. The key switch is what you are trying to get out.
Does the key switch need to come out to replace the ignition switch?

i'm also still hunting down that torx socket to remove the screws that are holding down the ignition switch under the key switch.

Does anyone know what size and where to get one? Been to sears, napa, carquest....i have a call into the snapon guy.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
key switch and ignition switch are two different things.....

Key switch does not have to be removed to replace ign switch...

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The Ignition cylider has to be removed to remove the top cover to remove the ignition switch as far as I know.

The pin is roughly located on top of the ignition cylinder about 1 to 1.5 inches in from the end of the cylider. You should be able to see the hole.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I just looked it up on SI.

I was wrong when I said you can remove the plastic piece on the end of the ignition switch.

The method GM recommends is the same as I said except they tell you to pull the wheel. I have done it many times without pulling the wheel.

Here is the step where they show you to push the release pin.

"Using a bent tip awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole"

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Max Power;1594672; said:
I just looked it up on SI.

I was wrong when I said you can remove the plastic piece on the end of the ignition switch.

The method GM recommends is the same as I said except they tell you to pull the wheel. I have done it many times without pulling the wheel.

"Using a bent tip awl, insert the tip into the ignition lock cylinder access hole"
thanks!! I will give it a try in a few minutes.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Max Power;1594672; said:

where is the access hole?

I tell ya...for the most part I like working on my Sub...I really think I hate working on the steering column though!!!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I really don't know how to explain it any better then I did. You should be able to see it though. Removing the steering wheel might help but you will need a steering wheel puller. It's not really a big deal to pull the wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Thing Here

I think I found the hole, but how hard do you have to press and what do you do? Just turn the key? I have gotten all of the plastics off and can't figure this part out... (Someone has a copy of my key and I need to rekey it... already got the door locks out but can' figure this one...)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just press the detent that's in the hole and turn the key. It should pop out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts