Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My running boards mount in preexisting holes on the underside of the rocker panels. Had to pull some plastic plugs out of the holes. The brackets do not completley cover these holes. I want to seal the holes but first want to spray something in there to take care of the moisture I know has to be in there now, and stop any future rust. Suggestions?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't have a rec. on filling the holes/spaces but I highly recommend Krown Rust Protection. Annual application that I wouldn't be without given the amount of salt thrown on the roads here in the Southern Great Lakes region of Ontario. My '90 245 Volvo has 416,000kms (258,500 miles) original paint, only rust is a little around wheel wells. My '94 Silverado, 112,00 miles...ditto no rust!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have as nice clear sealant to fill the holes. I'm just looking for something to treat the inside of the panels with before I seal them. Once I spray whatever in there they will be sealed and never opened up again (I hope)!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Undercoat in a spray can might be what you are looking for. Later! Frank

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I have known about POR 15 products for years (it's used extensively in the old Land Cruiser community) but for some reason had forgotten about them. I just sent them an email. I've no doubt they'll have exactly what I need.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I use LPS3 (available at most aircraft supply retailers). There are quite a few posts on thedieselpage.com about it.

I used a gallon (it runs about $30 a gallon) and an old household cleaner spray bottle to apply a quick undercoat just before winter hit -- worked great. Basically, it sprays on like water, but drys into a wax like coating that protects steel for 2+ years. In addition to being a rust inhibitor it is also a lubricant, so you can use it pretty much anywhere you can use paint, oil, or grease. Very cool stuff...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Where on earth do you find LPS3 in a gallon form. I would love to get some and put it in my sprayer. I use cans once in a while, but I can't find it anywhere local. Only back in NY.

Thanks in advance.

MN

·
Registered
99 Posts
I heard a "rumor" (CLEARLY LABELED) that LPS was being discontinued.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought mine from AirSuppliers.com (just search for LPS3 -- their site shows they have it in stock). I couldn't find any local sources although I am sure there must be some.

Some other potential sources include:

www.aircraft-spruce.com/
www.wicksaircraft.com/

I did have to try several different vendors as most were out.

Some vendors actually carry 5 gallon containers as well, but I couldn't find any that had them in stock. Turns out I didn't need that much anyway...

Discountinued! I certainly hope not. Did you hear any explanation as to why?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts