Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about smoking a set of taillights so they kind of look tinted/blacked out a bit? Do you give it a light dusting of black paint and then clear them? I would guess you would need to wetsand before painting for the paint to stick right?

· Registered
660 Posts
The product is called 'Night Shades' by VHT paints. Easiest place to find it is eBay; I don't see it carried at most parts stores. I'm not sure what kind of prep is necessary, but the directions on the can should tell you. It's a one-step translucent paint, no clear needed. You apply as many coats as you want to achieve the desired tint level.

· Registered
980 Posts
put 'em in the smoker with the rest of the meat (or fish)

· Registered
253 Posts
Nite shades will not be shiny and fade very fast. You need to sand them with 600 and mix clear with black base,a binding agent and some flex agent. Paint them like you would anything else, I would highly recommend a HVLP gun. Any body shop could do it, It's easy. If they are GMC tails, I would spray on some transparent red to cover the orange turn signal. It would look a lot better in my opinion. Hope this helps.

· Registered
164 Posts
does anyone have any pics of 04 factory taillights that this has been done to? i have never heard of it being done.....

· Registered
728 Posts
I think I used that night shades stuff 20 years ago. The trick was several light coats to the inside of the tailight lens. It smoked them the right amount and kept the smooth finish on the outside. IIRC it was very durable since it was on the inside.

· Registered
1,443 Posts
I know its cool/cheaper to do the work yourself, but you can look around for some aftermarket taillights or covers that look pretty good. Theyre a little pricey but some are pretty cool lookin.
check out www.stylinconcepts.com theyve got some cool stuff.

· Registered
203 Posts
Niteshades by vht is an awesome product works very well. You have to do alot of very light coats I have found to not make the paint run as it will very easily. Here is a picture of my VW that I had that I sprayed the lights on. I then clear coated them.

I will be doing the same to my tails on the dmax shortly as I bought like 4 cans originally and only wound up using 1.

· Registered
14,927 Posts
Can you take it off if you screw it up or are you stuck with it once you do it?

· Registered
203 Posts
Well it is like a paint so I guess you are basically stuck with it. When i first attempted it I sprayed it way to close and fast and it ran like a SOB i then grabbed paper towels and rubbing alcohol and wiped it off before it dried and then went ahead and tried again. I also did my quad tailight as it was an led light and really bright.

It was a small piece but to get the desired darkness I prolly sprayed in the area of 30 light coats. Its blacked out but when u hit the brakes it shines thru fine. I would reinstall the light after every few coats once it dried to see if when the brakes were applied it was what I wanted.

It is time consuming but for 7 bucks a can or whatever it does a very nice job.

FWIW on the dmax lights i didn't see any raised dot lettering like on my VW lights. Those i had to scrape the dot markings off with a razor blade and then lightly sanded them to finish it off.

I will get mine done next week as I am swamped at work right now if you guys want to wait and see a finished set before you attempt it then I'll do mine and get some pics up.

I wish I could find someone with a spare set for cheap as I want to do a set fully smoked and a set where I leave the reverse light white and see which I like better.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that is exactly what I was looking for. I checked on google for others that did it and they said it comes off using paint reducer or other cleaners so if you had too, it would clean up.

· Registered
4,983 Posts
I did it to my 01' and as scqtt said the trick is to do several light coats...i did mine on the outside though...and covered it with a clear coat...help up nice and looked pretty sharp...here is a crappy pic..but you get the idea

· Registered
146 Posts
night shade works ok .mine are painted .i had the body shop i work at painte the with a tinted clear. they look black allday long but brake and rev.lites show threw pretty good.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lets see some pics WickedZ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.