Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brothers putting in an order for a C4500, Its going to be a recycling truck alum. body etc. How are they holding up?

Is GM not putting the LLY in em'? The engine has the old specs 210/300hp 520 tq

Its going to be a sweet looking rig, nice front grill/bumper/ etc

TIA

Bill

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Yes they are putting the LLY in them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ChevyHDMan, I've got about 10k miles on my c5500 Dmax Alli with no problems at all.The truck has a 40 ft. material working boom on it ,which is probably the cause for my main complaint of the truck.The truck had a very bad top heavy feel going down the road,especially on the freeway. I complained enough to our shop foreman and he put a new set of front tires on it ( Old were factory mud an snow, new are road tread or steering axle type). This made nite and day differance in the drive and ride of the truck.My two other complaints are #1 the front cab piller and big mirrors make it hard to see cars coming at intersections and #2 my truck has bucket seats with no armrests on them.Other than that I love the truck compared to the F550 that I had before this one.This truck will turn on a dime and give you change, which is needed in city driving and working in alleys like I do every day.I average about 100 miles a day in mine.And the power is much better than the F---. Lineman

·
Registered
18 Posts
Folks,

I have had mine since Oct 2003. I have a 2004 and the following has happened since I have owned it:

1) The tranny computer harness fell off at 3000 miles and the techs had a long time (3 visits to the stealer) to correct it.

2) The fourth time back to the stealer and to a Allison service center and they finally fixed it. The main harness had bent pins.

3) This weekend coming back from Tucson the tranny oil cooler failed either at the connection of the return line or a solder joint on the hear exchanger core in front of the radiator. Anyway back to the stealer again. Number 6 visit in less months. The engine compartment was a total oily mess. I hope the stealer will at least steam clean the engine compartment and warrant anything that is oil soaked (i.e. alternator, wire harnesses, connections, etc)

So I have reservations about these units. I would not be a good representative at this time. I will however continue to drive my truck and smile at all the little people out there. By the way given all the failures I have had on this truck not one has been from a component made outside the US. All of them have a "Made in USA" on them. I just have to wonder if globalization is the way to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update to the tranny cooler isue.

The dealer has been keeping me posted on the outcome of the dilemma. Apparently they have had a number (not sure exactly how many) vehicles in for this same failure of the cooler. The cooler cracks during usage and allows the tranny oil to flow. The caveat to all this is that our hero General Motors and Chevrolet Truck haven't figured out how to maintain their pipeline of spare parts and also maintain customer satisfaction. I have been informed by the dealer that there are no parts available and I will have to wait (time duration uncertain) for a new cooler. So my truck sits at the dealer waiting and I am on my own as no car is available as part of the cheap warranty provided with the vehicle. Wish I would have read that before purchasing.

Overall I will have to wait and drive my Harley as backup transportation, this is cool but I want my truck back.

I will entertain purchasing from a foreign manufacturer in the future however the horror stories with some of those owners are bad too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Truck back with new tranny cooler. Two weeks for GM to get the part to the service center for installation.

The dealer didn't do too well on the wash part. I will detail myself and clean up all the oil. I continue to wonder if I opened a dealership would I treat my customers this poorly. The folks were nice enough to talk to but actions were somewhat less than desired.

Well I will post again with the next failed component until I can sell this thing off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have decided to keep the bear. This thing is too cool to sell just because I get screwed by the manufacturer on spare parts. I have been driving it this weekend to the ranch (600 miles RT) and it ran flawlessly.

I got caught in a bad rain an snow storm in New Mexico and at the ranch the roads went to grease condition. Well without 4x4 I had to add about 1200 pounds ballast to the back of the truck and it went through all the mud and snow without the tire chains I got.

I have changed the oil at 4000 went down 1 pint from factory filling. All other fluids were okay. I will not add extra fuel filters and such, I don't wish to do my own engineering.

Mileage has improved to 14 mpg round trip with ballast in back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How are the 4500's for towing? Are the D-Max engines able to handle the heavier truck plus loaded trailer?

Paul

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
TheChevyHDMan said:
My brothers putting in an order for a C4500, Its going to be a recycling truck alum. body etc. How are they holding up?

Is GM not putting the LLY in em'? The engine has the old specs 210/300hp 520 tq

Well is he ordering an ally or 6-speed, might by why the old specs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts