Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio on my 04 LT D/A is really not very good. It sounds sort of "cardboardy" or something. The radio is top of the line with XM and 6 disk changer etc. Do any of you feel the same about your radio's or is there something I am not adjusting?

Bluejay

·
Banned
394 Posts
thats the same as mine and i love it......not because it sounds good mainly because it covers all the noises from the rattle trap

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
my radio isn't the "top of the line" model... I got the CD player, 4 speakers. I will be installing a custom sub box eventually, just to take the brunt of the rock and roll I listen to off the stock speakers. Other than that, I really like my head unit and speaker setup. I don't care much for bose so that might tell you something.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bluejay said:
The radio on my 04 LT D/A is really not very good. It sounds sort of "cardboardy" or something. The radio is top of the line with XM and 6 disk changer etc. Do any of you feel the same about your radio's or is there something I am not adjusting?

Bluejay

I feel the same as you. Some stations are poor in tuning, CD seem ok, and I wish I would have done the XM deal.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I simply don't care for the stock radio system at all... Even thought I have the BOSE system with the XM feature. At low volumes the BOSE has decent bass, but it poops out when I turn it up. The XM sounds terrible in my opinion. I plan to yank it all out and put in a aftermarket system.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I agree with the statement that it sounds good at lower volumes.

My problem is that on long trips (over 2hrs) the radio (Bose single disc) gets hot and won't play CD's. Not sure if the fan is working or if it's some other issue. The CD's come out smokin' hot. I can put another one in and it'll sound like it's scratched and skip and then just stop all together. My last trip it completely locked up and wouldn't even power down when the ignition was off until I pulled the fuse under the hood and then it was good again.

It's got hot since the first trip I took with the truck so it's not something that just popped up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My van used to unnecessarily heat up and cause disc problems. So far so good with my 6 disc and XM. I think the stereo is very nice, but it appears that I am in the minority. As far as the XM goes, I will probably be in the minority again. Don't care for it and prefer local programming. Very boring. The Comedy station is good, but nothing else is to our liking.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bluejay said:

Bluejay
I have the Bose 6cd system with XM.

To get acceptable Bass, I have it turned up to almost the max. At this setting, the sound quality would be considered "fair" by most boom-box experts. It's good enough for me because I listen to XM or CD's all the time.

As far as the FM reception? Absolute crap. I've bitched to the service manager & he just smiled & said "yeah, we know". I checked the other bose systems in the parking lot and they're all the same. If you are a few miles from an FM station, it'll sound good, but MAN, when the Stereo cuts out it just plain sucks.

Luckily, I listen to XM exclusevly (and I think the quality is very good) so don't have to put up with the crappy FM reception.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have the 6 disc with XM, the FM sounds poor, the XM fair, the CD player sounds good to me. Haven't noticed any problem with reception on the FM, seems to have the same range for picking up chanels as my other ride on FM. I am very diappointed in the FM Sound quality though. My advice is get the cheapest radio option and upgrade to something nice or just listen to CDs.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
The AM/FM radio reception is not-so-good. My POS 96 Ford van has the basic AM/FM radio in it, and it gets better reception.

Now when the signal is clear, it sounds good. And when I play movies for the kids it sounds good. But it apparently needs a better antenna.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply's. I guess there isn't something wrong with my ears after all. Has anyone found an aftermarket radio they really like?

Jay

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have the Bose with XM and am very happy with the unit.
But I have always been the type who would rather hear the sounds of the engine and exhaust than any stereo out there. Oh I’ll turn it on in the truck for some background noise, but not so that I cant hear the diesel rattle
I love to hear the rattle of the engine the roar of the exhaust, this is my music.
I also have a ’98 C5 Corvette with chambered exhaust and a Bose system. I have owned this car since new and it has only had a CD in it once to see if it worked. The radio is NEVER on in the Vette.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is everyone with XM happy with reception? I get way too many dropouts (up to 10 sec). The XM guys say the antenna connection is bad.....dealer being pissy since they have to take the headliner out to replace.

·
Registered
276 Posts
CheVet said:
Is everyone with XM happy with reception? I get way too many dropouts (up to 10 sec). The XM guys say the antenna connection is bad.....dealer being pissy since they have to take the headliner out to replace.

I'm happy with it if I'm out in the open. But when I get under trees and just north of tall buildings it sucks. There are apparently no terrestrial repeaters in my area.
Edited by: dMaxCruiser

·
Registered
276 Posts
BTW, they don't have to remove the headliner to get to the XM antenna. They can just loosen the front and drop it down a little. I know because I did that to install roof lamps. It would take them 5 minutes to get to that antenna.

·
Registered
341 Posts
There are a few areas where I live (Idaho, about 50 miles from Canada) where I know it will cut out - behind large hills, heavy timber, rock cuts, etc... Anywhere where the southern exposure is totally blocked.

But I'm pleasantly surprised that these instances are very few (& I live out in the sticks). I drove from northern Idaho to Louisiana & back & it probably cut out 4 times total. Pretty good in my book.

And my sound quality from XM is very good by the way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have got XM in my '03 Suburban wouldn't trade it for the world...

Don't even listen to AM/FM anymore

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just got Sirius installed and so far it sounds good. Most stations on the FM are 70 miles away- either NY or Philly. Some local ones, but too many commercials.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love my truck.
Love my radio.
Nothing like a little comedy in the morning on the XM to start the day.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts