Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have to drive five miles out of my way, but this is the best price on diesel I've seen in awhile. I feel that with forcasts showing two dollars a gallon this summer, this is a perfect time to start producing my own fuel supplement again

ethylesters, ethyl fuel oil emulsions.

I hear the best way to make it is with electromagnatism, but I'm still using base/acid catalysts.

The greatest benifit is to the public at large because your exhaust is considerably less toxic to breathe. Infact, the higher percentage you add to your petrolem fuel, the greater the benifit in terms of reducing toxic emissions. The exception is NoX gasses, because biofuels have more oxygen ( petrolem fuels have 0%) the combustion tempetures rise, The higher the combustion tempatures the easier for NoX gasses to form. Nitrogen is more than 70% of the volume of our atmosphere. Lightning bolts emit NoX gasses, nobody tries to regulate them.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Well, QM - you've got me beat.

Fuel is one of the things I've never tried to make. Well, maybe a little acetylene, now and then.

The other is tires....

Gots to hand it to ya, dude.

I run 8oz additive to each tank Shamrock. But, looking at it, am figgering price of Shell is just about equivalent. Hmmm....do I need additive with Shell?

Also run 8oz of STP per oil change - adds zinc dithiophosphate to the mix. Real good stuff for Diesel crankcases, according to my Doctor.

(Ever notice how people lay claim to doctors - my doctor said this, my doctor did that......)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biodiesel production is tedious and messy, but still worth it. There are too many sites out there that can spell out the procedure, so let me just say: fat/oil + ethyl/methyl alcohol -glycerine= biodiesel. The alcohol can be a sticking point at $6+ dollars a gallon bulk, but I'm working on a fermentation/ distillation process that will keep it cheep. Mountain king potatoes will fill a trailer with reject spuds for nothing. A little sulpheric acid in the water when you cook it and it's pure glucose in thirty minutes.

I purchased a 500 gal. tank that I need to mount on a trailer with my 5.5 hp 3" pump and I'll start soliciting for yellow grease haul away.

I'm sure the man will still want to get his share, but nobody's said anything yet.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Unfortunately, you just advertised for the revenooers to come callin'....you never really know who's reading these forums.

That's why I never advise on disabling EGR, removing soot traps, converting PCM to mech inj, etc. Not even for 'off-road use'. Texas is not-so-strange bedfellows with the Feds in enforcing that stuff.

Federal hiway funding talks big time.

'Nuff said, he said, looking over his shoulder...

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Are you saying that it might be illegal to "brew" our own fuel for use in our own trucks? Is it a taxation issue? I might be able to rationalize the government's position on burning heating oil in our rigs, but not brewing fuel for our own use. Also, is buying fuel from a pump a requirement for driving a vehicle on the road?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the revenuers will find hear is a countryboy who likes his diesel fuel spiked with high octane ethanol. Nothing is intended for human consumption.

I was dumping a load of garbage and I found these rags.

Now, while most people would see this as a load of tires, I see it as feedstock. Through a process called pyrolisis (vaporazation in the absence of oxygen) and another called the Fischer-Tropches cycle, This can be reformed into high grade fuel oil.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Don't know the legal issues on the subject, but -

Farm-use only Diesel fuel, tax-free, is dyed red - severe penalties for on-road use, spot-checked regularly. (adding automatic transmission fluid, also red in color, to your fuel can cause some intense legal hassles, with you paying for the sample analysis, court costs, and etc)

What is it - 50 gallon limit per year on home distilled medicinal and recreational spirits - report the rest and pay the taxes, or else.

In truth, I cannot answer that question. But, as we all know, when the revenooers get wind that losses are mounting, well - you know.......

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
But getting back to the original question of fuel prices.

In 1977, gas was about 75 cents a gallon and mortgage interest rates were in the 18-22% range.

Hell, I'll pay $2 a gallon for fuel with a smile on my face as long as my mortgage is still only 4.5%.

For my truck 27 gallons = 365 miles. Which is a weeks supply for me.

A few years ago, at 1.00 a gallon it cost me $27 to tank up, Now at 1.57 (f.o.b. St. Louis) it cost me $42. or a differnece of $15 (a week) or roughly 4 cents a mile.

I can live with that.

Tim

·
Registered
584 Posts
I filled up this morning $1.88/g the pump next to the Diesel a gas SUV left. 30 gallons and $58 I put 23 gallons in at $43.25. I bet I went the about the same miles on 7 gallons less fuel. I love my 6.5TD Interceptor.

PS Cowracer Heath has new "better Maxitork" chip and is doing swaps for a reasonable fee. I order one today, keep ya posted.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
16gaSxS,

What is bill getting for the Maxi-tork 2.0 swap? I hear they do everything but cure cancer and walk on water.

T

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tim;

I requested some "special handling" so my price was different than what Bill quoted. Call Bill; I don't know if the price he mentioned varies depending on how much of his stuff you have bought, but Bill is fair but needs to cover some of his costs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts