Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric ...

Just read your post about your conversation with GM engineers. My '02 3500 was purchased in Oct. '01 so it must have the old style injectors. You may or may not recall that my vehicle is the one that Mdrag cut the OEM filter open and found all the rust. I currently have 43,000+ miles on the truck and other than a slight decrease in fuel mileage, it seems to be running well. What do I monitor to tell me if I have injectors going bad? My local dealership has a couple of good mechanics but almost no diesel know how. If I suspect a problem, what do I tell them to check? I know these are very basic questions but would really appreciate your advise..... Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the same kind of mileage decrease, installed pre CAT at 32k.

Now have 35200 and if I have a problem coming ,would like to find before warranty ends.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I suppose the easiest way to check is with a tech-2 and watch balance rates. This will give the earliest indication and these will show signs of problems long before you may notice anything. GM has raised there spec to +/- 6.0mm for balance rates. I think that by then you will have problems, I prefer to use the old spec of +/- 4.0mm. Severe conditions will be knocking/smoking, rough running and fuel in oil.

Eric

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dmaxalliTech said:
Severe conditions will be knocking/smoking, rough running and fuel in oil.

Eric

Thanks for the info ... knowing what to look for really helps ... fortunately, don't have any of those symptoms yet ... Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts