Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......Another new feature of the DURAMAX 6600’s turbo system is the capability of the variable-geometry turbocharger to provide exhaust braking. This function is available on some medium-duty truck models and can replace add-on exhaust brake hardware. With the new system, braking is controlled by a signal from the engine controller and can be activated by the driver."]Another new feature of the DURAMAX 6600’s turbo system is the capability of the variable-geometry turbocharger to provide exhaust braking. This function is available on some medium-duty truck models and can replace add-on exhaust brake hardware. With the new system, braking is controlled by a signal from the engine controller and can be activated by the driver.
This was taken from Briano's Sticky 06 LLY and LBZ Differences.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a medium duty truck for starters....):h
No kidding. They should be the same though, shouldn't they? The way that they are talking, they didn't mention the 6 cylinder, so I was assuming the v8

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2006 DURAMAX 6600 Specifications (LLY, LBZ)

Assembly site: Moraine, Ohio

Applications: Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500HD, 3500 pickups; Hummer H1, Chevy Express and GMC Savana full-size vans; Chevy and GMC medium-duty trucks

Type: 90º V-8 charge-cooled turbodiesel
Displacement (cu in/ cc): 403 / 6599
Bore x stroke (in x mm): 4.06 x 3.9 / 103 x 99
Block material: cast iron with induction-hardened cylinder liners
Cylinder head material:cast aluminum
Intake manifold:cast aluminum
Exhaust manifolds:cast nodular iron with steel pipe extension
Compression ratio: 16.8:1
Valve configuration:eek:verhead valve, four valves per cylinder
Valve lifters:Mechanical roller
Firing order:1 – 2 – 7 – 8 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 3
Fuel system:direct injection diesel with high-pressure common rail

Horsepower (hp / kw):
360 / 268 @ 3200 rpm (2500 HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) (LBZ) (Automatic transmission only) (Available beginning 4 th quarter 2005)

310 / 231 @ 3000 rpm (2500 HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) (LLY) (Automatic transmission only) (Available through 3 rd quarter 2005)

300 / 224 @ 3000 rpm 2500 HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra (LLY) (manual transmission), Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick (LLY) and Hummer H1 Alpha (LLY)

250 / 186 @ 3200 rpm (Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana) (LLY)

Torque (lb-ft / Nm):

650 / 881 @ 1600 rpm (2500 HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) (LBZ) (Automatic transmission only) (Available beginning 4 th quarter 2005)

605 / 820 @ 1600 rpm 2500 HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra (LLY) (Available through 3 rd quarter 2005), Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick (LLY), (Automatic transmission only)

520 / 705 @ 1600 rpm 2500 HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra (LLY) (manual transmission), Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick (manual transmission) (LLY) and Hummer H1 Alpha (LLY).

460 / 624 @ 3200 rpm (Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana) (LLY)

Fuel shut off: 3250 rpm Silverado and Sierra (Heavy Duty), Kodiak and
TopKick (Medium Duty) and Hummer H1 Alpha. (LLY)

3450 rpmExpress and Savana (LLY), Silverado and Sierra HD and 3500 (LBZ)
Who is gonna figure a way we can do the exhaust brake?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Calling Labrat

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Actually.......it probably wouldnt be too hard for someone in the know......

I assume it could be done very easily through programing.

Another option(although I dont know how it would work) would be a "finger stick" stype device. Just fool the turbo to alter its blade angle at the flip of a switch and tie it into the brake too. It would require alot of user controll to keep from screwing stuff up that way but I think it could be done....

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the same thing rat, but I am not too smart in truck programming or I would give it a try. I figure a few vendors can do it. If they could and market it, I don't believe there would be too much to it as far as customer installing. It prolly wouldn't be very expensive either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts