Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be new, but I have to get the attention away from these fords!:blahblah: In all honesty I like the DMAX/Straight axle setup, but put one of these bad a$$'s in the best looking truck GM has ever put out...A 1972 Cheyenne!!! :ro) I would love to put one in mine-funds don't allow it.:( Don't even know if Cat makes something to bolt up, but the new 572 crate engine will fit easily. I really hope someone at GM looks at this stuff and pays attention. I would love for a GM rep to have been in Springfield, TN last year when every DMAX that pulled destroyed the IFS when they hooked to a sled in our street class pull. The only trouble some of the older Chevy's had were U-joints, not front end assembies! Most new Chevys don't stand a chance "dropping a chain" hooking up bumpers with a Dodge/Ford unless the Chevy guy has a heavier truck, longer truck, or is more experienced at doing it...and that is some Censored !!! Well talk it over guys, I'll be back in the morning.

·
Registered
809 Posts
O.k.
My guess is you have never seen an IFS truck make a good hook...a set of sleeves and lowered T-bars is all it takes.

·
Registered
731 Posts
actually at our pulls the ifs front is the least likely to break if proper precaution is taken , just like big d said $100 for sleeves and lower t-bars and no worrys

·
Registered
3,605 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm glad I got the attention away from Ford's!!! I have not checked for replies to my Fabtech replacement tie rods vs. sleeves post, but I can't wait to see some of the video's of IFS doing good. I'm all for it - just have not seen it. This does not take away from wanting to see a DMAX in a '72 though. Hey, where is Mason, TN anyway???

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Well, I'm glad I got the attention away from Ford's!!! I have not checked for replies to my Fabtech replacement tie rods vs. sleeves post, but I can't wait to see some of the video's of IFS doing good. I'm all for it - just have not seen it. This does not take away from wanting to see a DMAX in a '72 though. Hey, where is Mason, TN anyway???
The funny thing is, IFS is the best setup for traction, pulling, cornering, etc. It allows each wheel to get the best grip it can get, not be forced to comprise due to a solid connection to another wheel...

Yes, the stock tie-rods were a little lacking for mild abuse, but it's easily taken care of, and can handle quite a bit.

IFS gets my vote. Hardcore rockcrawlers who used to swear at IFS are now changing their tunes as every little bit of traction and articulation helps (wheels in the air don't help you). As the aftermarket progresses, so will the strength of the components.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
p.s.---thanks for the "new guy" labeling:lol: ! It's the truth though. I need to take a trip into row crop country to get some more knowledge. Until then, I'm going to be asking all kinds of questions b/c I'm a 454 guy-LS6's RULE!!!:ro)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
the bottom left corner of tennessee is where we are. about three hrs from nashville and 7 from the eastern part of the state

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm up above Nashville, between Clarksville and Springfield. I go down to Memphis about once a year to the Super Chevy Sunday carshow. Anyhow, keep the info coming b/c I want to spank some tail at the pull we have this summer. And pictures will somehow be posted this weekend of my '04 and my
'72!

·
Registered
731 Posts
we are gonna try to come to springfield this year and pull.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well from the list of goodies on your truck, you should put on a show! They run about 4/5 classes, $20 buck per hook. Most 3/4 tons run the 7200 lb. and
8200 lb. classes. Bring Duck Hunter with you!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the leg work!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I know that they make a small block ls6 but I think he's right cuz I do believe they used to make an ls6 and ls7 454. Maybe I'm wrong just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.