Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold are 25' Aljo today now it's time to upgrade, the problem is wife wants a Sandpiper 315BHD 36' f/wheel with a dry weight of 10,700 lbs. and I want the 301BHD 35' pull trailer that has a dry weight of 8000 lbs..

We like going camping at Shaver Lake in central California and there is a long steep grade about 11% for five miles, it makes me nervous getting a trailer that heavy. I'm I over reacting?

I have a friend with the same truck but has the 6.0 and 9000 lbs trailer and it takes everything that truck has to keep it at 40-45. My 5.3 1500 with the Aljo did better then his.

Need help
Thanks,
Gcat

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think you will be setting any speed records, but the truck won't be laboring nearly as much as the 6.0.

I've pulled my current 5er with both a 2500HD 6.0 and with my current truck (see sig) and both handle about the same but the 6.0 was laboring on the hills where the dmax just grits its teeth and asks for more.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have pulled 8,000lbs with my truck up a 12%. It was :lol: at 55! It just wanted more! I don't think you will have a problem. But the Pucker factor might show up coming back down that grade with 11,000lbs in tow :eek: .

Bentley

·
Registered
500 Posts
We have the 301BHD and the truck has no problem pulling it or keeping speed up or down grades. Having said that, I haven't pulled a grade that steep. I've pulled the grades going in and out of Franconia Notch (White Mountains of NH). I'm not positive of what those grades are, however.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I have pulled 8,000lbs with my truck up a 12%. It was :lol: at 55! It just wanted more! I don't think you will have a problem. But the Pucker factor might show up coming back down that grade with 11,000lbs in tow :eek: .

Bentley
Speaking of... what is the best thing to do in that situation short of riding your brakes the entire way? Obviously T/H is a must, but would you put it into lower gear (with the allison that is)?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have the 301BHD and the truck has no problem pulling it or keeping speed up or down grades. Having said that, I haven't pulled a grade that steep. I've pulled the grades going in and out of Franconia Notch (White Mountains of NH). I'm not positive of what those grades are, however.
How do you like the trailer?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you sure you want to be over the legal weight limit? I have heard of the CHP really cracking down. Some CHP have info sheets with the towing capacities of our trucks. Just an FYI. I try to stay within the limits.

·
Registered
500 Posts
How do you like the trailer?
We really like it! We camp from mid-April through Columbus Day weekend and it has kept us very comfortable. It tows very well behind the truck with WD and sway control.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LeroyR,
Do you think you need the sway control? Can you tell a differences without it? I didn't have one with the Aljo but always thought about getting one. I now other RVer's that love them.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Speaking of... what is the best thing to do in that situation short of riding your brakes the entire way? Obviously T/H is a must, but would you put it into lower gear (with the allison that is)?
T/H will down shift the transmission automaticly so you do not need to do anything with that. It should provide enough braking on its own but if not slow down enough that the tranmission will come down into like 2nd gear (30-45 mph) otherwise you will just have to turn up the trailer brake controler and just use the brakes.

Bentley

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure you want to be over the legal weight limit? I have heard of the CHP really cracking down. Some CHP have info sheets with the towing capacities of our trucks. Just an FYI. I try to stay within the limits.
SD Chris,
I believe with the larger fifth wheel trailer I'm close to the max weight on the pin but not on GCWR of 22,000 lbs.. The payload is 3317 lbs. and the pin weight being 2170 lbs dry, it only leaves 1147 lbs for trailers bedroom and the cargo in the truck.

Gcat

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry! Didn't see the 5er there. I was think both were pull behinds. From my experience the dry lweight listed on the sticker are no where near the actual weight.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Payload might be 3317 for a stripped 6.0 Gasser, but you have to add up the weight of the heavy Dmax engine and Allison tranny (750 lbs) plus all the other options on your truck. According to the online order guide, your truck should weigh about 6,716 lbs leaving a payload of 2,484 lbs. Add to this fuel, passengers and typical cargo for your trip and you will be way over the 9200 lb GVWR for the truck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
LeroyR,
Do you think you need the sway control? Can you tell a differences without it? I didn't have one with the Aljo but always thought about getting one. I now other RVer's that love them.
Sway control? Yes. We gets some good crosswinds in the mountains and I've been "hit" by them. Definitely made a difference. As a point of reference, I have a Reese HP Dual Cam WD/SC setup. From the standpoint of "squatting" the truck, the WD doesn't really seem to be needed. The truck held the weight fine without WD. However, we are around 9500+ # loaded. Hitch weight (loaded) is definitely above 1K pounds, so from that standpoint, the WD hitch is necessary (not to mention as part of the Sway Control).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks LeroyR for the help, just need to talk the wife into the 301BHD.

·
Registered
500 Posts
NP. If you need any info at all, just PM me and I'll give as much detail as you wish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would stay within the CGVW rating of the truck then there is no problem. But, a 35' travel trailer is too long for me. I have a 30' Prowler and find that many campgrounds would not be able to handle a 35' TT. If I needed something that big, I would go with the 5ver.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We like going camping at Shaver Lake in central California and there is a long steep grade about 11% for five miles.
Man your not kidding about that 11% grade. I use to blow the doors off motorhomes in my K-5 going up that hill above tollhouse. Comeing down is fun too.
If your fishing from the shore at Shaver for trout, they like orange power bait a little beter than the red or green. I don't know why.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts