Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to other diesels? What kind is it and does anybody know the specs on it. I would like a bigger one but can not find any one who sells them for a Duramax.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Unless you're making 500 hp on pure diesel, your turbo is not your limiting factor. So most likely the answer to your question is "big enough"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its big enough till serious work needs to be done but it just doesn't sound very mean. I can barely hear it. Is it alot louder with an intake or just a little. I have had a couple of turbo cars and I usually use the sound of the turbo as a "guage" to how much load the engine is under and for trouble shooting. I know I could just get a boost guage but I'm old fashioned

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The intake kits do increase the turbo whistle. There are several vendors who are working on a larger turbo but nothing is available yet.

There are some serious space constraints that make a bigger turbo a tall order.

You should get the gauges even if you are old fashioned, it is a bad idea turning up the power while flying blind.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you really want to hear it whistle get the intake AND exhaust. An intake by itself makes it noticeable but the combo will make it loud and clear.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Twins! We need twins! Two turbos, each with its own dedicated 5" straight pipe. Necessary? Probably not, but damn it would sound good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Michigana_Joe said:
Twins! We need twins! Two turbos, each with its own dedicated 5" straight pipe. Necessary? Probably not, but damn it would sound good.

Are you talkin about TWINS = One for each bank???????...............OR.........................TWINS = Staged??????

·
Registered
448 Posts
JRmac said:
Michigana_Joe said:

Are you talkin about TWINS = One for each bank???????...............OR.........................TWINS = Staged??????

Staged, O-ringed heads, big numbers, parts thrown all over the place
. Just kidding, but I would like to see it on some one else's truck. Me I'm too old and poor

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a lot of experience working with turbos on Cummins. The Duramax turbo is pretty small in comparison to what you would expect to see on a Cummins at 500hp. Expecially when you factor in the 0.7 Litter difference in displacement. It really surprises me that there are not aftermarket turbos for Duramaxes flooding the market already. The extra work for machining an adapter block to accept a new exhaust housing must be why people are shying away from it. I have seriously concidered building a turbo kit since it looks pretty simple, I could offer several turbo options (even Ball Bering), and it seems there is a large market for them already. The stock IDI turbo is robbing a lot of hp at the 500hp level and is also causing outrageous EGT's. A good matched aftermarket turbo could cut those EGT's down by probably 400 degrees for those who are seing 1600+ and add about 50hp. I don't think compound turbos are really a good choice for the duramax because of the limited engine bay room. Custom manifolds and true twin turbos, one comming off each head would be a good high performance setup and still be stuck under the hood. Also if anyone wanted to go crazy you could even compound the twin turbos with a huge single on top of the engine. I saw pictures of Clint's compounds on his duramax and it just didn't sit right with me having the primary turbo under the truck right off the ground.

Horace

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The issues so far have been placement related, you don't have much clearance from the firewall. The downpipe is already squashed into an oval shape due to the lack of clearance.

The water cooled setup may be a problem too but I don't know for certain.

I would be nice to hear from the vendors what the snags have been so far.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Battering Ram said:
The stock IDI turbo is robbing a lot of hp at the 500hp level and is also causing outrageous EGT's. A good matched aftermarket turbo could cut those EGT's down by probably 400 degrees for those who are seing 1600+ and add about 50hp.

Do I hear an echo?

Give me a few minutes and I will show you more carrots.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Pic..

·
Registered
52 Posts
BMDMAX said:
The issues so far have been placement related, you don't have much clearance from the firewall. The downpipe is already squashed into an oval shape due to the lack of clearance.

The water cooled setup may be a problem too but I don't know for certain.

I would be nice to hear from the vendors what the snags have been so far.

You are right about the placement... that is why machining a custom adapter block to accept a different exhaust housing and still fit is the hardest thing, but definantly doable. A 3.5in round downpipe will barely fit if the turbo is moved forward on top of the engine a little. I'm not shure about a 4in... possibly. Bypassing the coolant line would only use a male to male connector and 2 worm clamps. Adapters for the oil feed and ruturn lines for different model turbos is another thing that would have to be done, but this is to very simple to do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just like I said... custom adaptor plate. Couple of oil lines and bypass the coolant lines and that turbo is in buisness. At least someone has been doing their homework. I'm shure you have tested or will do so soon. That turbo should wake up the top end when used with your injectors. If that is a T3 flange you will have lots of turbo size choices.

Horace

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
JRmac said:
Michigana_Joe said:

One for each bank. How would that compare to staged?

More lag?

Easier to package?

Lower EGTs?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Battering Ram said:
Just like I said... custom adaptor plate. Couple of oil lines and bypass the coolant lines and that turbo is in buisness. At least someone has been doing their homework. I'm shure you have tested or will do so soon. That turbo should wake up the top end when used with your injectors. If that is a T3 flange you will have lots of turbo size choices.

Horace

Why would we want to bypass the coolant lines? Is this becasue most turbos do not come with coolant passages?

Quad,

Does your have coolant passages? Why did you choose a turbo with or without the passages?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Amric, Yes you are correct... most turbos do not have liquid cooled cartriges. I'm pretty shure that any high performance turbo be it, Switzer, Holset, Garrett, or even Turbonetics will not be liquid cooled.

Horace

1 - 20 of 33 Posts