Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought they'd be more threads about how these are comparing to the LB7's. I'm wondering how that extra torque feels compared to the LB7.

·
Registered
962 Posts
considering about noone here makes less than 650-700 at the flywheel with thier chips...I imagine the lly would feel a bit sluggish..LOL

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, but what would be way cool is adding 150 lbs. of torque to 590 lbs. and having a little head start with the tranny. I think I'm at around 700 with the 90 hp setting. Can you believe we have to put up with a mere 700 ft/lbs of torque? I kinda like even numbers, like say 1000.....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well it may not be real valid since it's been awhile since I drove the new 3500 CC with an LB7 in it.

But I got to drive mine today from one accessory installer to another and back to the dealership....

It's a noticeable difference. The new CC I drove was impressive, but I didn't really push it since it only had 12 miles on it when I drove it. Mine had 3 miles on it, but I drove it about like the the other truck. The turbo comes in quite a bit quicker, and when it does, the response seems faster.

This is all seat of the pants and both new trucks, but since I've never had a Duramax before, and won't be having an LB7, this is about as good a comparison as I can give you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My LLY is a whole lot faster than my old S-10 w/4.3 v6

Actually can"t compare because my experience with LB7 is limited to test drives. But I'll have to say for a diesel it's quite responsive and really pushes you back in the seat when you step on it.

The wait was worth it.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have driven them both, the LLY does feel more responsive. And it is noisier than an LB7 (pilot on-off is more pronounced and intake is louder) But I don't know about towing yet. I wish they would have changed the D-max emblem so I can tell them apart on the hill

·
Registered
91 Posts
hi guys! i have a 02 cc 4x4 dually lb7-ally with 80000 kms (50000 miles) and works well! i just use a hypertech power programmer when i want more power. i have driven the new lly in a 04 3500 ec lbox 4x4. its nice-more responsive and torqey. i think its quieter then any lb7 i have heard yet! nice engine! bubba jim

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
MonteCarlo31 said:
Max,

You can tell them apart, the LLY is the one that's infront of the LB7

Lenny
Not if its my truck against the LLY.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya the only rig that would pull you Motomac is a top fueler.......

·
Registered
464 Posts
LLY has alot more emission equipment on the engine doesn't it?? The one at the Detroit auto show sure did, cooled EGR among other things. I hate when they clutter engines, I'm happy with the LB7 and a juice box. Takes up alot less space then that darn EGR cooler.

J

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And that stuff doesn't even get into what's going to happen with the new transmission set and chips.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Haven't had much seat time and I realize there is a significant weight difference between these two trucks so it's not an apples to apples comparison, so short term here are some points worth mentioning.

Traded my Hot Juiced(ver 4.61) 02 3500 CC 4x4 D/A LS with 32500mi for an 04 2500 LT, CC, D/A SB lly last Saturday. Ordered the 02 new, HJ'd around 18kmi.

I had my dealer install 265/75-16 E Bridgstone Revo's and Bilstein shocks before I took delivery. Quieter, both idle and highway speeds, smoother, more power(stk vs stk) much improved throttle response. New glow plugs take 3 seconds max, "elevated" idle is great, OD lockout is a handy option although I haven't towed yet, and don't expect to use this feature except maybe while towing in traffic.

Did I say I missed my Hot Juice????

Time to update the sig!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Besides the engine on the stand at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, I actually saw my first LLY last night at the dealer. They had it in the garage with the hood up doing a PDI on it. They really did do a better design to get to the fuel injectors. And I noticed that the duct work for the turbo going to the intercooler is different too. They have shortened it up and tucked it in a little closer to the motor. Makes the fuel filter easier to change with out doing dmaxalliTech's air conditioning line modification. Also the fuel filter is longer, by about 3/4 of an inch than the one on my 2003. Interesting!

·
Registered
54 Posts
When passing or being passed by a Duramax on a hill just check it's VIN number, if 8th digit is a 2 it's and LLY.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just drove home in my companies new 04 GMC 2500 HD D/A LLY LONGBOX. I must say WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

I certainly drove it moderately under 70 "gets there quick", but there is definetly a noticeable difference in my opinion. Our company also has an 03 GMC 2500 HD D/A LB7 LONGBOX with 55,000 miles so I know how that one feels. The LLY certainly seems to respond to the throtle quicker and seems to have some real good SNAP! Oh and I forgot! The Turbo whine is distincively noticeable " SWEET " and the pilot injection seems more pronounced. The truck has 183 miles on it in my yard, and I can't wait for my new one to arrive.
TPW 02/09/04 I am just going crazy wondering if it's built yet.
Edited by: 04wanabemax

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
See if your dealer will get you a VOMS print out and you'll know exactly where it's at.

·
Registered
145 Posts
[QUOTE=Zeeb] See if your dealer will get you a VOMS print out and you'll know exactly where it's at.

A little Bird told me it's now on a train and was shipped on 02/12/04

Thanks, Howard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by: 04wanabemax

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Great news.....

Hang onto your enthusiasm though, the next few days are going to be awfully long....

·
Registered
479 Posts
I test drove a LLY from the local stealer yesterday and it's night and day from the LB7 as far as "throttle response" and the truck feels more lively. sure the allison is slow to shift, but the truck only had 15 miles on it. I'm real real happy that my new truck is going to be the LLY.

The best way I can describe it is the truck feels less "heavy" when I accelerate. I'm sure it has mostly to do with the new turbo and the reduction in the lag time. There is more power too...

I could really hear the turbo whistle more than my LB7 however...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts