Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 02 dmax with juice with att on level it pops uot of 5 gear when it shifts and then stays stuck in 4 th until you turn the truck off in park even when i have my juice set to defuel all locked shifts when this happens it is going up somewhat of a hill nothing major. well the egts quit on my att called edge they said to send it in and they would replace it. i 'm going to have them put in the hot juice program. what can i do for the tranny to help it hold that kind of power without harsh shifts and fairly cheap i see bully dog shift kit on ebay cheap do they work? he also said something about turbo upgrades so i'm putting on a ppe valve.any ideas would be nice

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
there is no cheap tranny solution. upgrading to the hot juice is not worth it unless you upgrade the tranny. suncoast and ats seem to be the top two.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
tranny upgrade

im looking at doing a tranny upgrade as well. with the research that i have done i believe that there are two "cheaper" options. transgo offers a tranny upgrade. they state that your allison can handle up to 600hp and 1000torque. bullydogs upgrade is similar. i dont know how much extra HP and torque your tranny can handle but it is cheaper than the transgo.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
transgo is probably the cheapest yet functional upgrade. i think those numbers are high though as far as what it can handle. sad part is, the more power you add the more youre going to want to add. just cough up the money and do it right and do it once. you'll be pissed if you try to take the cheap way out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went down this same road just a few months ago. I tried to find a "cheap" way to do the tranny but could not find one that was even worth doing. The bully dog "shift enhancer" after some searching on this site is not worth the time as the ally will adapt and lower the line pressure after about a month.

The "hot" juice is not worth doing of you are already having problems with you tranny. The transgo and convertor is only a good choice if you have good clutches in you tranny already and from the sounds of it you don't. I have never limped my tranny and started out going with a transgo a TC but it was only about 400 bucks less than the stage III. I figured if I am going to do I wanted to do it once and be sure it was right. I know have the predator stacked with the edge and with both set for kill (120 & 125) the tranny holds like a champ and bangs through the gears with no defuel great. So if it is any help at all in making the decision to spend the money (I know it is a big chunk of change) if you can swing it do at least a SCIII and you will not regret it.

I know I sure am glad I did. :grd:

Also with the edge the attitude will display only 25.6 lbs and with the "hot" juice you will hit that if the tranny is holding (with no upgrade you will not, it will just defuel due to slipping). So just be careful with the PPE valve as you can blow the turbo. I put a 35 lb auto meter gage in to monitor my boost, stacked I hit 30 lbs real fast with the bighead wastegate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is causing my truck to pop out of 5th it has only done it twice a friend told me if you run the tow haul it boost line pressure is this true the only reason i'm wanting the hot juice is for some more smoke any ideas on the smoke on level 5 with the smoke on 5 it doesn't smoke at all

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I am pretty sure that you are frying your clutches with the edge on 5 like that. I had only played with setting 5 a few times and I had some burnt clutches in the C3 pack I think. Those are the weekest clutches in the tranny and it is the pack that is used in 5th gear (OD). I am buy no means a expert but it sounds like your tranny is going into a state of protecting its self. I would post in the tranny forum and see what those guys say mostly Mike L. He really know his stuff and in way helpful.

As for the edge not smoking I think that it is backing down the power due to tranny slip and you are not getting all the fuel you would if the tranny was holding. I know when I changed my tanny the edge felt stronger on 3 than it used to on 5 due to it could use all the fuel and not back down. The tranny was also putting that much more power to the ground as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
edge questions

does edge defuel for slippage also when my display is showing torque converter is locked when get on the gas i get up to 4 % slippage for a couple seconds

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is way too much slip. My display would say .8-1 with my toy hauler hooked up and the edge on 3 and I thought that was getting to close for my comfort.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yes, i would also recommend the SClll kit i have ridden in rockymtnmax's truck and it is awsome i could not belive the difference in the trans it just felt amazing. i to was looking at going the cheap route with just transgo and tc but when i tore my trans apart my c3's were pretty burnt and i have never even limped mine which it sounds like you have limped yours a couple of times. so i would recomend doing it right its not much more. my suncoast lll will be done this week (being installed by kelly(Goodrnch) and i cant wait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts