Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think that the Bully Dog shift kit alone is enough to hold the Hot OJ? I have talked to several different people about this and was asked by a customer so I wanted more input. I know that they say you can run at least another 50HP on top of stock so I am just curious what everyone thinks. Thanks... Edited by: GMC2500HD

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I think we are all waiting for some brave soul to try it and tell us about it. You first.

Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Do what i do before i sell something to a customer. Put the kit in and flog it in your truck. If you are happy, praise the hell out of it and sell it to your customers. Unfortunately i am running a 90% failure ratio on a lot of junk. Your customers will love you for it, your Allison might hate you.

mike

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am looking at long term running here. I know that the Bully Dog kit is a small upgrade and I don't want to go overboard right now with my truck. Still has under 10K miles on it. I just want to have the ability at a later time to unleash the power of the Hot OJ. Was just curious and have someone else asking about it as well. He wants to do the same thing as money is the object right now.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
My opinion on the Bullydog kit is that yes, it is probably slightly better than stock. People will push the envelope because it is a natural thing to do and do more damage than they would have if they didn;t have this false hope. I am not preaching, i am a hotrodder, i do things and believe people just like you guys. I have screwed up on product decisions and now i test on my own truck before i endorse.

mike

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Ask MBRP how it is. He has it in his 04 dually. I flogged his truck Tuesday on the dyno............i'll let him give his thoughts on it

·
Registered
206 Posts
I do have this installed. It dose definatly firm up each shift, I really do like the better shifting. As for holding more power. I would bet that it does hold the extra 50 HP Bully Dog states, it will not allow you to flog the truck with a Quad 135 maxed. I think it does what it is advertisedto do............. a little extra holding power

MB

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
If it doesn't improve the torque converter, I'd save my money.

Dyno testing on load cell shows the TCC lets go around 2050RPM and 725-750TQ. The Juice will adapt and reduce the power, but then you ar pretty close to the 90 HP level...

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Kennedy said:
If it doesn't improve the torque converter, I'd save my money.

Dyno testing on load cell shows the TCC lets go around 2050RPM and 725-750TQ. The Juice will adapt and reduce the power, but then you ar pretty close to the 90 HP level...

Well said.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have two friends that both installed the Bullydog shift kit you're talking about. One truck was a 2004 Crew Cab Short Box. He's running the Bullydog 155hp program. It never zinged in 5th before the install or after. The other guy has a 2002 Extended Cab Short Box also running the Bullydog 155hp program. It has always zinged the tranny before the upgrade. After the shift kit install, it STILL does it. Every time. So, needless to say, he's back down to the 95hp program. Just some examples.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Scotty Seelen said:
I have two friends that both installed the Bullydog shift kit you're talking about. One truck was a 2004 Crew Cab Short Box. He's running the Bullydog 155hp program. It never zinged in 5th before the install or after. The other guy has a 2002 Extended Cab Short Box also running the Bullydog 155hp program. It has always zinged the tranny before the upgrade. After the shift kit install, it STILL does it. Every time. So, needless to say, he's back down to the 95hp program. Just some examples.

That goes back to what Mike l has said. Once you hurt your tranny, there is no substitue for new parts. It sounds like a non abused tranny could benifit from a kit like this.

I would be very interesed to here about shift quality? Usually little inexpensive kits come at the price of overly firm or even harsh shifts?

How does this thing shift? Light throttle and heavy throttle?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lets keep in mind this is a low $$$ part, it does not offer to fix all your performance problems for under $100. It does firm up the shifts.

I am now looking to build a trans for one of the DMAX's, with the price tag that comes with a tranny and convert, it is not for everyone. I think the shift lit deal is for those who do not ever plan on building a full tranny.

MB

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
I've got a web update in the works outlining a few notes and thoughts. Should be up soon.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Kennedy said:
I've got a web update in the works outlining a few notes and thoughts. Should be up soon.

Kennedy,

Although I do not take everythng on your website as gospel, I do enjoy reading your comments. When are you going to give your opinion/description on the rest of the power modules/downloaders?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I emailed Bully Dog just for the info that they might have and this is what I got from them.

"The transgo kit does no more than that of the shift kit so ya it will hold up. Thanks"

So I am going to assume that to be a yes maybe sorta ok. Edited by: GMC2500HD

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
GMC2500HD said:
Well I emailed Bully Dog just for the info that they might have and this is what I got from them.

"The transgo kit does no more than that of the shift kit so ya it will hold up. Thanks"

So I am going to assume that to be a yes maybe sorta ok.

What kind of answer is that? Sounds like you bothered the head tech guy while he was skinning a racoon.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea what answer that is, other than he is saying that it will work for that application. That was all that I could get from that answer based on what I emailed him to ask in the first place. So I am going to try this and see what it will do and then go from there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts