Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to pull over to cool down my 6.5 and wondered if it is best to bring up the rpm with no load to help the engine cool down faster?
I have shut off the truck before but it heats up even more.
Looking for answers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
6.5s had an issue with the water flow due to the fact that the water flows through the block on the driver's side then crosses over to the passenger side then to the radiator. Make sure the thermostat is opening fully or replace it with a lower temp one. Also I have been told that there is a different water pump you can install that has a higher flow rate. I can't recall what vehicle it was for but was told it is a bolt on to the 6.5. To answer your question though If you pull over to cool down it is best to idle. Less fuel, less boost the cooler the ignition is. Also check your fan clutch.

·
Administrator
16,657 Posts
Welcome,

Cleaning your cooling stack will greatly help any cooling issues
Your 98' already is equipped with the HO water pump. If you replace thermostats, only use AC/Delco 190-195* stats
installing a By-Pass restrictor fitting on the water pump crossover will help even the flows and cooling over the #7 & #8 cylinders as they tend to get cooked and may crack the heads
Fan clutch may be worn and needs replaced. Upgrading to a DMax fan also helps

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Are you towing or is the truck empty when over heating? Are the vent holes in the bumper open and not blocked?
Also, Along with the HO water pump, 98 have the upgraded 9 blade fan. You can upgrade to a Dmax fan, which is a little larger but it is only a small improvement over the stock 98 fan.
Sounds to me your cooling system is in need of attention. Cleaning, flushing. Make sure all parts like fan, thermostats, ect are in working order.
Yes you can stop and bring up the RPM to 1000- 1200 to help cool down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you towing or is the truck empty when over heating? Are the vent holes in the bumper open and not blocked?
Also, Along with the HO water pump, 98 have the upgraded 9 blade fan. You can upgrade to a Dmax fan, which is a little larger but it is only a small improvement over the stock 98 fan.
Sounds to me your cooling system is in need of attention. Cleaning, flushing. Make sure all parts like fan, thermostats, ect are in working order.
Yes you can stop and bring up the RPM to 1000- 1200 to help cool down.
Thanks! It overheats towing a 28 foot travel trailer on a steady pull up hills!

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,865 Posts
Open the hood???

·
Registered
2003 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
6 Posts
One of the Quickest ways to Cool it down, is RUN The Heater full Fan speed, and Full heat, it is miserable on warm to hot days, but definitely helps in a emergency, and to keep you from being stranded will help keep the engine cooler, also a functioning Hood scoop, (Steel one piece after market, about$300-400.00) allows air to flow, and escape the engine bay, and they look great to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive always sprayed some water on the radiator fins and that helped cool the engine, how hot was it getting?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Someone here can probably tell you where to find it. There is a way to make your computer go into a fast idle. I believe there are two higher idle speeds available. It is simply a matter of connecting some switches to the computer wiring harness. I have seen the instructions. It has been several years since I looked at them.

·
Registered
1998 Chevy Express, 1994 F59 ISI 7.3l, 1999 GMC Savanna [soon 2b scrapped], 1999 C3500 [scrapped}
20 Posts
There was a recent thread about the high idle mod; search should find it.

·
Administrator
16,657 Posts

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,865 Posts
At any rate, there is something wrong with your truck.
In what conditions this overheating happened? towing or non-towing, in town or freeway, etc.
What is your geographic location?

I am in TX, I have never had to pull over to cool down my truck.
We have 100F days (plural) here.
The only other place hotter will be in Arizona.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,865 Posts
Also, you may want to wash the cooling stack (the front where radiator/condenser/cooler).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts