Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I kind of put it all out there with the title of this thread but... Thursday night I will be pulling my 9,000lb toy hauler for the first time with my 2011 LML. Its supposed to be in the high 90ies and I will be leaving town right at rush hour. That in mind I will most likely be in areas of stop and go driving during the peak temperature of the day.

Is the cooling system in the LML adequate to keep things cool under these conditions or should I wait and leave a couple hour later? What would be expected trans temps in these conditions?

I'll be getting into my destination late as it is so I would like to leave as early as feasible. I will also use Tow/Haul as I understand that locks the torque converter in the lower gears.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
313 Posts
We just got back from a trip to San Diego, Anaheim and Las Vegas. Put on 6300 kms ( about 4000 miles ) I was towing our 5er and we were GCVW of 22500 lbs. stop and go traffic from Vegas to Anaheim ( 6.5 hrs ) and it was 100-110 on the trip.
My LML never skipped a beat! When the traffic allowed, we would stay with traffic @75 MPH. ( LT tires on trailer - of course) Don't worry about such a light load as you are contemplating! Engine brake on, tow haul activated, set cruise and enjoy some tunes on the radio!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We just got back from a trip to San Diego, Anaheim and Las Vegas. Put on 6300 kms ( about 4000 miles ) I was towing our 5er and we were GCVW of 22500 lbs. stop and go traffic from Vegas to Anaheim ( 6.5 hrs ) and it was 100-110 on the trip.
My LML never skipped a beat! When the traffic allowed, we would stay with traffic @75 MPH. ( LT tires on trailer - of course) Don't worry about such a light load as you are contemplating! Engine brake on, tow haul activated, set cruise and enjoy some tunes on the radio!

Thanks Dude! Out of curiosity do you idea what your trans temps were?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You’re worried about only 9K pounds and just 90° weather?? Double the weight and add 20° and you’d still be fine.

·
Registered
940 Posts
as long as everything is in good working order on truck and trailer you are in good shape:thumb:

I would not give it a second thought:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just what I wanted to hear. With my last truck I would have been paying close attention to the tranny temps. It probably would have been into the 210-220 range. My hope in switching to the LML is to be able to just relax and drive!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
No problems at all is my bet.
Now if you were pulling hills in 110 degrees you better hope your fans clutch is working correctly...

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had a 2012 3500 CC D/A and towed a 16,000 5th wheel. Our travels were from texas to colorado to indiana as well as other places. Mountains, hills, hot, cold, etc. I run a scan gauge on the steering column that displays trans temp and the most I remember it ever getting was something like 185. Towing the same trailer with our 2018 L5P I see trans temps up to 200, but supposedly this good for the newer truck

·
Registered
916 Posts
Towing my 12500lb 5th wheel in Az in the summer in stop and go traffic had mine up to about 190deg. Temps outside were 110deg.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Still, I'd keep it in T/H mode, and manual shift to keep the revs in the 2000 to 2500 range as much as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still, I'd keep it in T/H mode, and manual shift to keep the revs in the 2000 to 2500 range as much as possible.
I'll keep it in T/H for sure. I'm actually on my way to your neighborhood. Meeting friends in Roseburg to float the river tomorrow and then go wine tasting Saturday. Just got to get through Portland first.

Love to see pics of your Nova by the way. I'm working on a ground up restoration of a '69 El Camino SS 396 4spd. It was my father in laws car. He started the restoration but passed before he was able to finish it. My wife and I bought it from his estate, we just want to see it finished.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I definitely DO NOT recommend manual mode or trying to outsmart the truck and shifting yourself, especially in the LML. The truck knows what it’s doing and when in manual mode automatic grade braking is turned off. Just turn on T/H and drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I uploaded a couple low res pics of the El Camino in my photos but I'm not sure how to attach them to a thread. The quality of those pics don't do the car justice anyway though.

·
Administrator
15,724 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Truck has done great! 98 deg out, engine has stayed at 210 and the trans right around 180. The trailer is having a tougher time. Hit a BIG bump and the 100 gallon fresh water tank broke free. Limped it to the burger king in Cottage Grove. My wife took the truck to wall mart for some ratchet straps while the tank drains. Hoping Ibcan secure it well enough for the 59 or so miles we have left to go tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the tank secured and made it to Roseburg. My friend her has a welder so I can make a more permanent repair before I head home on Sunday. This will be a fun story at some point... right??

·
Registered
940 Posts
Got the tank secured and made it to Roseburg. My friend her has a welder so I can make a more permanent repair before I head home on Sunday. This will be a fun story at some point... right??
The best stories typical start out with some sort disaster that later gets funny

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the drive home was pretty uneventful. The Duramax is a monster! My old 7.3 Powerstroke never had issues other than EGT's when pulling hard up the hills. Still have a lot of love for that truck but the Dmax is a whole other world. The only indication I had that there was even a trailer back there was the fuel gauge! I definitely arrived at my destinations more relaxed, other than the water tank. I think I'm gonna like this truck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts