Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Hot+2/Va stack I was pegging my 35lb boost gauge when Id go wide open. I thought that might be too much for the turbo to handle so I removed the Boost Stick. Going strictly on feel alone, the truck seems happier and seems to run about the same, maybe even a little stronger. Peak boost is now about 30lbs, maybe 31. What numbers are you guys with the PPE Boost controller seeing? Are you using it to increase boost or to limit boost?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel like theres more turbo lag without the stick. Is there anyway to increase low end boost without creating boost numbers that are too high at WOT?

·
Registered
257 Posts
The PPE boost controller has a switch that allows you to get more boost under light throttle and makes it more responsive. On one setting it gives you stock boost pressure for more fuel under light throttle and the other gives you more boost under light throttle and more responsiveness. I have my boost adjusted to hold 32-33lbs in fifth but it will acually spike to 35-36lbs shifting into 5th. What setting do have the Va on to get 30lbs with no boost controller? IIRC I was only getting 26-28lbs with PPE hot+2/va 70 with no boost controll.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is the VA180 box but I keep it on the middle setting(90). 30lbs no problem without the boost stick. 35+ with it. I dont want to blow up my turbo. Would I get a DTC and have my light come on if boost levels got so high that I was in a danger zone?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is tapping 35, 36, 37, or more lbs of boost for a split second going to hurt anything? or would I only be in danger if I kept the boost that high, somehow, for longer than a few seconds.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Would I get a DTC and have my light come on if boost levels got so high that I was in a danger zone?
When I was running the PPE Hot on Extreme and the VA on 110, I was pegging my 35 psi gauge. Was getting a P0238 overboost code. IIRC, it sets if you go over 35 psi more than twice.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have yet to get an overboost code. Maybe I will reinstall the boost stick then. I feel a little safer knowing that I'll at least have a proverbial alarm system to let me know when I am entering dangerous territory.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have yet to get an overboost code. Maybe I will reinstall the boost stick then. I feel a little safer knowing that I'll at least have a proverbial alarm system to let me know when I am entering dangerous territory.
Just wanted to clarify that I didn't get a light when that happened. Just the code that I cleared with the PPE.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, thanks for including that, it is an important note. I will check for codes anytime I see the gauge peg out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts