Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the horsepower for the Vortex Turbo 6.5 diesel?

·
Registered
183 Posts
The 6.5 liter turbo diesel in GM trucks was rated at 195 HP and 430 lb-ft of torque from the 1996-99 models years. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone using the term "vortex" along with this engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the top of the engine it has A plate covering the vacuum lines for the turbo. On the plate it says " VORTEX Turbo "

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[email protected], Found out that the Gas engines for that year are Vortex Engines, lol. I do have a Duramax. Everyone has to understand that this is my first Diesel truck and I am still learning, lol.

Back to the question at hand! I read in the manual that the horsepower is 395 but is that including the Turbo? If not how much more power do you get from it? Appreciate all the help

Kevin

·
Registered
183 Posts
The truck in your signature cannot have a Duramax diesel. Your sig. truck is a '96 and the Duramax didn't come out until 2001. Also, the Duramax has a 6.6L displacement versus the 6.5L TD (turbo diesel) that GM put into their trucks prior to '01. A '96 would have the 6.5 TD which has the 195HP/430TQ ratings I posted previously. HP and TQ ratings for TD trucks include the power gained through the turbo.Edited by: bluenote

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bear with me, So what you are saying is that it isn't a Duramax, it is just a stock GM engine? I see in the book that I have the options and specs that it is a 6.5 liter Turbo-Diesel, V8 HD, RPO L65, Displacement 6.5/400, Compression ratio 21.5:1, [email protected] 190/3400, and Net [email protected] 385/1700.

So I just have a Turbo-Diesel with 195 HP? If I may, how does this engine rate for pulling Loads in dificulty? Is it good or bad? I'm looking to pull a 4 horse trailer with it? Thanks for being patient, as I said, b4 I am learning all of this for the first time
I am new in the diesel world!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
In the low country you will probably be save towing your hourse trailer but to be sure install a exhaust gas temperature, EGT, guage and learn to use it. If you want power see my comments in the posting noted above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts