Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching and didn't see anything on this...

I just got my truck a month or so ago and am getting used to the clutch/transmission. I don't drive it daily so its taking me a little while. I just picked up our new trailer yesterday - 5th wheel dry about 7500# - and struggled a bit backing it up. The issue is getting started - it really wants to hop and jump. I don't have any problems getting started going forward using the granny gear, or even 2nd on a downhill - the clutch seems to transition smoothly.

Is it my lame clutch work or something worse?

Thanks for any ideas...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Are you slipping the clutch when you are backing up? My factory clutch did the same thing. Is your truck 4wd? Some have mentioned putting the transfer case in 4 lo and backup with your clutch all the way out.

I can't do this as my truck is 2wd.

MaxRock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 2wd also. My first impression is that the reverse gear is not really low enough. I can see how someone w/ a transfer case could shift into low and get the gears they need to carefully back up. Too bad my truck isn't 4x4... :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
On the ZF6, 1st gear is 5.79:1 and reverse is 5.23:1. They're close, but I've noticed a tendency to hop also, but only when trailering with a loaded trailer. I wondered if it has more to do with weight distribution than gear ratios. My truck is a 4X4, but I wouldn't put it into 4L unless I was on snow, dirt or gravel, or going in a straight line. When it happens to me I just slip the clutch more.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think it has more to do with ones leg. Going backward, when the clutch grabs, it jumps backwards, which makes you leg press on the clutch pedal, disengaging it. The next thing you know, your leg (& butt & body) is bouncing back and forth, bouncing you foot on the on the clutch.
I am guilty of it too. It even happens when I back an empty trailer up a small incline.
Just my 2¢

jc

·
Registered
204 Posts
My "solution" to the reverse shake was to stop, shift to 4th and (holding the brakes) load the engine by slipping the clutch for 10-15 seconds. Shift back to reverse and the (now warm) clutch was noticably smoother. If I'd had a T-case I'd have used low range. (If you're really worried about binding you can install a switch to disable the front axle disconnect - or pull the fuse.)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Colorado Kid;1610738; said:
My "solution" to the reverse shake was to stop, shift to 4th and (holding the brakes) load the engine by slipping the clutch for 10-15 seconds. Shift back to reverse and the (now warm) clutch was noticably smoother. If I'd had a T-case I'd have used low range. (If you're really worried about binding you can install a switch to disable the front axle disconnect - or pull the fuse.)
You're alive!!! You've been out of the loop for a while.

My clutch would chatter in reverse when backing my 5K trailer up my inclined driveway right after I got my new flywheel but same clutch. I just let it slip a bunch and after while it must have seated into the new flywheel. Now I don't have and chatter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd love to have "2-Low" on my manual floor shifter. This is one of the things I did not care for in the GM trucks - auto front hubs. I would prefer manual hubs, leaving them unlocked for trailering.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jeli;1611242; said:
You're alive!!! You've been out of the loop for a while.
A year or so of 70+ hour weeks convinced me that I needed a new job, which i now have. Thanks for noticing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts