Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've been looking around for a Diesel of my own for a little while now. My dad has a 99 Burb 4x4 6.5L TD and I think he'll be burried in it he loves that thing so much. Well anyway the truck I'm looking at is a 1995 GMC 2500 Sierra 4x4 with a 5spd. The truck has about 289000Km on it or 180 000 Miles. I talked with the guy for a little while and he said it has new heads, and rebuilt injectors. He is asking 9500$ Canadaian for it or about 7000$ US. Oh and it's an Extended Cab Long box. Any suggestions about if this is a good deal, and anything I should be looking out for. Thanks guys. Oh I forgot to mention earlier that the guy said the truck runs great (don't know if I can believe it or not) but it smokes a little when it starts up in the morning after it being cold like 10 F. My dads truck has never smoked ever and he's started his in temps as low as -36. Thanks Edited by: snowdude

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Not knowing full options I plugged in generic K2500 at www.edmunds.com for my area I came up with vehicle in average used condition 180000 mi for MS $4678 private party sale full link is below if it works; $7000 is over full retail price, unless you can't live without it or can better the deal to along Edmunds price reference I'd pass, plugging in clean or excellent as condition ups value. Be careful on the opinion of it's shape it's easy for a seller to embellish condition out of loyalty to "ole faithful" has tranny/suspension/running gear been worked on/maintained remember whatever he has done to the engine to make it top notch there is still 180,000K on the rest of the truck.

If it gets totaled all you will get from ins. co without arbitration is blue book value regardless of percieved condition, they will tell you if they think it avg. or excellent cond., if possible run it by them see what they say it's worth to them. Chaps my tail that my 98 is nearly mint with $5K of mods/tires/wheels and all I'll get out of it is book value without a fight. What you should be looking for IMHO is a 97+ with improved H2O cooling/flow, 99+ is better as it has HD 215Hp program also I believe some block improvements

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1995/gmc/sierra2500/5045/options.html?tmvaction=vdpresult&tid=edmunds.u.options.utmv.vdpoption.1.GMC*Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks very much for the help. I went back and talked to the guy and asked if he had a compression test done on it, he showed it to me, then I ran as far away from that thing as possible. Not one cylinder was even close to 300. Thanks for the help, and I'm glad I didn't make a big mistake with this thing. I think I'll hold off, my dads friend is going to be selling a 1995 diesel Burb and I'll wait for that. He treats his truck better than anyone I have ever heard of, so he's the kinda guy you want to get a truck from.

·
Registered
584 Posts
the 95 Burb sounds like the deal. Once you get it talk to us 6.5 junkies and we can point you where you need to look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts