Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoot,

Been considering the purchase of this as well. Just curious about your opinion of it(quality, install).

Also any photos of it lit up? Daytime and nightime if possible.

Also does it come with a passthru connector to the hitch? I'd like to be able to keep both my receiver bow tie light and the fire line running at the same time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just by looking at the pictures, I think that Hoot has the brake light off of a dually, not the Line of Fire. A lot of the Avalanche boys have the Line Of Fire on their rigs, and they are the full length of the tailgate. Just looking at Hoot's it looks just a few lights wide.......Sorry to butt in on someone else's question, just thought I would add that....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bowtie,

No problem chiming in, it is an open board after all. Anyhow in his signature he says he has the line of fire bar. I did some digging through all his pics(there are a lot of them) and found this one.

so I guess I answered my own question.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
That picture doesn't do it justice. Kind of a bad angle and it doesn't have that orange glow in real life.

It comes with a fused flat four connector. Right now I have it plugged into a flat four adapter, plugged into the 7-Pin. What I'm going to do, funny you just asked cause i was thinking about it this morning, is splice in a flat four female under the hitch and plug it into that.

The only negative is the fuse holder cannot handle the elements. It gets rusty inside and quits every few months. One of those cheap twist tube deals. I'll replace it with a weatherproof minifuse.

As far as the light bar itself is concerned, it really surprised me how well it works. It is fully functional, meaning the circuit is split down the middle. At night the entire bar is lit up but half will flash with your turn signals and the whole bar brightens when you hit the brakes. It need no resistor or special flasher. It's plug and play.

I originally was going to install it per instructions. It comes with doubleback 3M foam tape. I didn't like the look of a long row of small LED dots all the way accross. What was I thinking when I bought it? While holding it in position, it slipped out of my hands and fell behind the bumper. It was then when I saw how it projected the red light into that space under the tailgate. It looks great. I get compliments all the time.

I mounted it using some little aluminum brackets that were in one of my hardware bins. Don't ask me where to get them cause they were off the wall parts from a screen door or something to that effect. If you want I can take some close ups. It was a bugger coming up with something. Somebody else might look at it and find a much simpler method. Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoot,

Well I said the heck with it this morning and ordered the bar. Not sure when it'll exactly get here, but found it for a nickel short of 100 with free shipping. Best other price was 89.95 but a few bucks more because of the 5' shipping length penalty.

Since you offered, I'd like to see how you did your mount.

I've got access to a couple of CNC mills so making a bracket is no problem on my end if I 'copy' you.

Also my next project is painting my wheel flares. I haven't been able to find a better looking aftermarket option(JMHO). I'd love to match my Red, but alas a friend who owns a body shop told me it'd be close to $200 to refinish and couldn't guarantee it'd stay looking good with the rough winters and stone chips.

So if anyone has any recommendations I'm open.

Oh and I'm on high speed, so don't worry about picture size. Also if easier you can e-mail them direct to me atmailto:[email protected]Edited by: Victory Red

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Give me a day or two. Don't fret if you have to remind me.

Mike

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Had some time....

Check this out...

What you see is a little aluminum "S" bracket.
A CATV connector used as a spacer and a nut for just a little more. One long stainless screw goes into small predrilled holes in that tiny lip in the trucks sheetmetal.

web page

Click on the images for the big pictures.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,

Thanks for the quick post, glad I didn't have to badger you
. Anyhow one thing that just clicked into mind, you've got a white truck, mine is the red, I may not get the cool glow you do with a red on red. I may just have to go with a normal mount.

Anyhow via e-mail I got a notice today that this is one of those, coming direct from the manufacturer, please give 10 business days, plus 2 for shipping.

It may be a while before I can get it and report back.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Looking at your truck at night, from behind, there normally is no light there under the tailgate so it's dark.

It will definately glow differently than mine but it will glow.

Before you mount it, you can lay it in there to see how it looks. It might look good. Red lighting up red.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts