Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My replacment air filter just came in the mail. I haven't driven my truck today, but while it was still light out this afternoon I figured I'd pop it in even though it only made it to 0 degrees out today(I'm not the smartest guy)

Pulled the lever to open the hood and it moved and pulled the cable, but there was no pop of the hood. I tried prodding and pushing on the hood to maybe trigger the latch. I tried grabbing the pull wire in the cab with a pair of pliers and pulling or pushing, but no luck. The wire definetly feels still connected, so I don't think it broke at all (yet)

I'm gonna let it idle out in the driveway and take it for a ride, maybe it will warm up the engine compartment enough to get it pop. Its still under warranty so if I can't get it, someone else will have to figure out how...

Do you guys have any ideas what is frozen? I don't have a heated garage to put it in so warming it up is prettymuch out... any ideas on how to get it open?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Amazing what a little heat does... Managed to get it open after everything came up to temperature.

Now it won't latch to shut! I guess maybe its just the spring, but its hard to see in there and its getting colder (-3) so its just gonna have to wait. Should I be spraying some wd40 in there? I'm betting as soon as the temp crosses 25-30 it will work fine again, but I'd like it to work at ANY temp.

off to drown my sorrows in a beer

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
kjo43, there's usually a pretty heathy gob of heavy grease lubing the latch mechanism. Sounds like it's gumming up in both directions due to the cold weather. Hit it with a little WD40 or some other light oil to "loosen it up" some.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts