Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm kind of new to this but im gonna give it a shot. I'm a plumbing contractor and am looking to buy a new truck. I currently have a 95 7.2L Power stroke diesel crew cab with 250k miles on it. I was wondering if someone could give me an honest opinion about the new 6.0L power stroke diesel and the Chevy Duramax. I am on the rocks between these 2 and I left Dodge out of the picture because the back seat looked to small. If any of you out there have had the pleasure of driving both or know which is better. The aspects I am concerned about are: Overall room in the truck, Towing and Hauling Power, Reliability, and overall performance of the truck. By the way, I am planning on getting a manual transmission if that helps. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
First no one can say any truck is perfect in operation or for all the jobs desired or free from manufactures defects ..But GM seems to fit my bill ...

Seems that Ford is taking some serious hits with quality of the Diesel Power plant now offered ... The rest of the truck including tranny seems to be in good reputation ...But it does appear the bugs continue with some while others seem to escape the villains of defects ...

The GM had some early problems with the Duramax but no where the near the defects delivered to the consumer as Ford and has made gallant attempts to bring consumer confidence in on the purchase ... The Allison well,what can be said besides it is a premiere HD transmission ....

The only still lacking problem with the Duramaxes is fuel filtering as it would appear with the Bosch HPCR ... This is easily corrected for a couple hundred beans and a few hours of labor depending on kit you choose ...The LLY has a larger filter but IMO will deal with change intervals not quality ...

The Six speed trannys are used by both GM and Ford ...

I'm seeing many more GM's hitting the streets in working garb these days from plumbers to carpenters to a 03 GMC wrecker just the other day ...

To me if your going to use the vehicle for dual purposes the GM wins hands down for fit and comfort for pleasure ... Excellent quality of ride equal payload and towing capabilities (depending on configuration) for the vacation or weekend pleasure ...Work it during the week and enjoy the luxury in the off times ...

It's proving itself in the working environment all time ...

Good luck it's your decision, remember there opinions ...

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The biggest thing that sold me was the Allison transmission and the quietness of the Duramax.

I bought mine to tow and to do occasional home duty hauling stuff. I have not had a wimper out of my max and it rides like a dream.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about the Engine life. With proper maintenence how long can I expect to have this truck still running. I am pleased with my 7.2L power stroke which has about 250k miles. Can I expect the Duramax to hold up to this also? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Regarding engine life - I think any engine will give you 450k -650k miles with proper maintanance.

Now let me qualify that. We have all seen that guy that has 1 million miles on his Volvo, if not here it is
http://www.cabinnaise.com/vpage/irv.htm

Also, I was at disneyworld a few years ago and I took the airport shuttle and look at the guys speedo and asked him how many miles he had on a gasser engine van ( he had them all Fords, chevy's dodge) and he said most of his vans had over 450k miles on them. I said what the heck are you doing to get that out of the engines, No special oils just change oil every 3k. He said they run 24 / 7 and never get turned off some days.

You will also see a lot of Toyota gassers with 250k and above.

My point is it desn't matter what you get just take care of it and it will take care of you.

I had Fords and went with a 04 SWR , CC 3500 because of the ride and power. Although I beat my stuff up I do take care o fit by over maintaining it. For example it just hit 4k and I have already changes the oil twice, changed the tranny fluid for synthetic, changed the rear and front hubs etc.

Good luck with your search, and drive a Duramax and notice the comfort - afterall you deserve a nice ride.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can't comment on the Ford as I have never owned one. Only things I have read about the problems they are having with the 6.0. I have a Duramax right now, no problems so far, about 11,000 miles. However, I am a little bit concerned about injector problems. I would not be so quick to dismiss the Dodge. I would at least drive one. The Cummings is well prov-en and in my opinion, a hard act to follow.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Well I'm one of the lucky one as I've had both. The 7.3L Powerstroke was a great engine. The new 6.0L is a pile of crap. I took delivery of mine in Dec. '03 and in 3800 miles it spent 68 days in the dealerships. It had the rear main seal replaced three times, ICP sensor 4 times, 6 reprograms, 2 transmissions not counting the orginal and 2 rearends. When Ford bought it back it still would not idle properly, still leaked oil, transmission number three would work in reverse sometimes, rearaxle still howled and when it felt like it, it would not do anything but idle also knowen as the dead pedal issue.

Ordered a new LLY with refund took delivery Dec. '04. Truck runs great but developted oil leak. Took it into dealer and they found a bad oil cooler gasket, replaced it and all has been fine since.

From this I bet you can figure which I would recommend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
for me i would rather have the ford. the room is about the same, the cehvy is a little more comfy and has a better sound sys. i can't say for sure about the ride because the ford i have driven is a srw 350 where my chevy is a dually but between the two the ford rides a lot better in the rear but the chevy is a little better up front. as far as power is concerned the 6.0 has a little more but they both kickass especially with the juice on the chevy
. i personally have a chevy because i got a good deal on it and it seems to be a good truck.

edit: i forgot to mention injectors, i do not spend any time on ford forums but i hear about a lot more inj probs with the chevys. looked up the vin # on mine and it has been in 5 times for injectors and once for a fuel pump. granted i don't know what the guy before me was using for fuel or additives but if i had known this before i would still be driving a Geo tracker.Edited by: rocksam

·
Registered
140 Posts
As far as concerns with the Duramax injector problems, both Ford and Dodge are now using high pressure injection systems similar to what GM uses. IMO they haven't been out long enough to know how well they will stand up. My truck is an '02 built in '01, original injector design before mods, 21,000 miles and no problems, I did add a Cat pre OEM filter at 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Let's not forget the turning radius, Chevy/GMC will always turn inside a Ford.

Can't really give opinion, never owned a Ford, drove several as work trucks supplied by employers, that's where i learned about the turns. As I understand it, International, the maker of the 6.0 for Ford, is not being considered as a supplier for the Diesel for the future F-150.

That speaks volumes to me

·
Registered
58 Posts
We were going to buy a Ford PS because my wife really liked the looks of the Ford better than any other. We drove several Fords and IMO they were really stiff and it seemed like you just couldn't turn the steering wheel far enough, large turning radius. At work I was told about the GM Supplier program so I talked her into test driving a 2004 GMC D/A CC, outcome, we should take delivery of ours this weekend.

This is her truck and since it is I let her make the decision and she choose the GMC for ride quality and comfort, did I mention that I got the DURAMAX/ALLISON.

·
Registered
60 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">GM has the best leather interior, is the quietest, roomiest, and has the smoothest ride. I really liked the styling of the F & D , but once I drove them all it was DMAX hands down.
</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a furd ( my business currently owns two of them) except for the following----I don't like the way they drive, sound,ride,handle,pull,or look. My brother and my dad drive them. I'm the lucky one in the new Duramax!--------
----Phil

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Hey Truckguy,

First off, welcome to the site.
I have a few questions for ya. The Ford only has 250k and you want to sell it, why? Is the truck worn out or are ya tired of looking at it? Have you had any problems out of the truck? How much load does the (will the new) truck carry every day? Will this be a slop work truck or a half breed? Did you mention anthing about wanting a 4x4?

To me it's seems to be an odd time to purchase. Dodge = new frame, new block, new trans and a new fuel system...... Ford = new Turbo, programs and injectors...... GM = new turbo, ECM & programs. All this "change" has occured this year. I really don't see any problems but..... nothing here has been proved, that will take time. However, I think that they are all good trucks and each has their nich.

More later........ Burner------------>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts